Friday, January 27, 2012

Teriyaki Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts


I know you're waiting with bated breath to see the pit fired pots, but I got caught up here yesterday and couldn't go over to Fran's house to get the pots. Fran said they didn't get much color. I strayed from my usual preparation process so I wasn't surprised. I'll go there later today and take some photos. In the meantime here is a recipe for Teriyaki Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts. I had these at a holiday party and ever since then I was craving their wonderful taste. So I finally gathered the ingredients together to make them.


You'll need two cans of whole water chestnuts, teriyaki sauce, one pound of bacon, one can of sliced pineapple in it's own juice, and toothpicks. Normally I don't eat bacon because of all the nitrates, but I found some at the grocery store that didn't have preservatives. Marinate the water chestnuts in the teriyaki sauce for two hours. I made my own teriyaki sauce, (that's what the pineaplle juice is for), and marinated them while the sauce was warm which I think helps to permeate the chestnuts. Look back to my Simply Scrumptious Salmon for the recipe of how to make the teriyaki sauce, it was two posts ago. For the teriyaki sauce you'll need one shallot, fresh ginger, pineapple juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce.

After they are marinated take one water chestnut, wrap it up with a small piece of pineapple, and half a slice of bacon and stab it through with a toothpick to hold the bacon on, and place in a baking dish. When all the chestnuts are wrapped drizzle the left over teriyaki sauce over the prepared water chestnuts. Bake in the oven at 375 F for 45 minutes or until the bacon looks cooked through. Oh these are so delicious. I know you expected a photo of what they look like cooked, but they were so good I forgot to take a photo. Gary and I just pigged out. Ha. If you want to be the hit of a party take these. Back real soon with the pots from the pit firing. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. We made a version of this for New Year's Eve and called them Angels on Horseback (the originals for that name were oysters but we used waterchestnuts too!) We didn't marinate them (good idea), wrapped 'em with bacon and added a bit of brown sugar.
    We also made Devils on Horseback: a prune with an almond shoved into it, wrapped in bacon.
    Okay, so anything tastes good with bacon, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not ready for water chestnuts yet...still trying some of your fish recipes!!!Yummy... They really look good tho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore these things. Could eat them till the cows come home. Like the sounds of your sauce recipe - will scroll back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love those! haven't made them in year... a good inexpensive alternative to scallops wrapped in bacon.
    everything is better with bacon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sound absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ronna, thanks, angels on horseback I like that name, Ha.

    Hi Turquoisemoon, thanks, the chestnuts are really tasty in a bland sort of way. Ha.

    Hi Kittie, thanks, yes till the cows come home.

    Hi Michele, thanks, yes bacon been so long since I had some.

    Hi Ms. Sparrow, thanks, they are so good and fairly easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious! So... When are you opening your restaurant?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Patricia, thanks, I like to cook but not in bulk, small dinner parties are just about right, no restaurant for me, too much work.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment