Sunday, March 4, 2012

Birdhouse with a Breezeway


Today I started out to make a lidded box but somehow it turned into a bird house. I cut out eight slabs so I'd have enough pieces. As I neared the end I saw I would have two left over. I wondered what I could do with them. I decided to make a roof with a breezeway. I reasoned the space between the box below and the roof above would allow air to pass through and the box wouldn't heat up as much in hot weather. Next time I'll make the overhang larger to extend beyond the front and back. I also think the bird house could be deeper below the entrance hole. I imagine a bluebird, sparrow, or swallow could nest in this box.

It's hard to tell in the photo, but there is a green circle pattern of underglaze on the body of the birdhouse and the borders are purple. I might add some birds on the roof and sides. There are drainage holes in the bottom and vent holes in the sides and back. The front has four rough indentations for the parents feet to cling to while they feed the baby birds inside. I read somewhere that a perch shouldn't be put at the entrance since that makes it easier for predatory birds to perch there. There are also holes near the top of the roof so the bird house can be strung with wire or cord to hang. I imagine the bird house could also be set on a post. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely, Linda. Love the colors. Hope you're enjoying a beautiful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, a larger over hang would keep the rain out but that breeze way might expose the birds to preditors.
    Thank you so much for your caring comment on my post. It meant so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope this works, have been having trouble with blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kittie, thanks so much, other than a big wind storm, things are going great.

    Hi Patti, thanks, yeah a bigger overhang would be good, I lost my friend in California recently and I know how hard it can be.

    Hi Helen, thanks, not sure how it will be after firing, we shall see.

    Hi Ms. Sparrow, thanks, I wish blogger would just leave things alone for even a week. Ha. it did work though.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment