Monday, June 11, 2012

Drum Circle, Pelican Formation



Last night we went to the drum circle at Fort Island Beach. I may have forgotten to tell you that Gary found a drum at the flea market pictured below. It's a conga made by World Beat. I took this photo by our pool.


The guy sitting next to me let me borrow one of his drums, actually several different ones so I got to play too. The first photo is one of the drums between my legs.


I neglected to get a photo of Gary or myself at the circle but you can see by the photos we had a good time. My fingers are actually a little sore from playing last night. I'm still thinking about getting a tongue drum. Hopefully I can scrape up the money to order one. Click on the link to read about how long I've been wanting one.


At one point a huge flock of pelicans flew over our group and everyone stopped to watch them. They were flying in formation. I don't think I've ever seen that many pelicans together, let alone flying in formation. It was a sight to see.


At one point several ravens sat on a telephone line squawking to the drums. Maybe birds are affected by all the drumming.


It's really fun playing drums at the beach. If you ever get a chance to go to a drum circle please go. You don't have to play drums, you can just go to listen to the beat.


There were some really strange looking cloud formations on the way home. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun time. I have been to (and participated in) a drum circle, but never on the beach. everything is better on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pelicans probably were more concerned about the clouds (and what they mean). I've seen them do formations along the east coast of FL sometimes, but rarely (when I used to live there). Drum circles on the beach are definitely fun. Went to one while visiting Siesta Key last year, but it was a mob of sweaty young people drinking...so not as much what I was hoping to experience. (Old people sweating and drinking had not been considered, actually)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In one of the last pictures we see a woman twirling her yellow dress, that speaks volumes for what type of experience the drum circle is, thanks for reminding us to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have friends who are into drumming but I could never get the hang of it.
    I just feel really outside the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a ton of fun, and yet another creative outlet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michele, thanks, yes everything is better on the beach.

    Hi Barbara, thanks, actually no one at our drum circle is drinking which is kind of amazing, a few sweating, mostly those doing the belly dancing since Sunday is was so hot.

    Hi Lori, thanks, young children were encouraged to play the drums even those from other groups and a couple of teenage girls from another group were watching the belly dancing and they were too shy to join in till the belly dancers encouraged them and started giving them lessons, later they broke away from the group so the teenage girls weren't so self conscious, very cool.

    Hi Ms. Sparrow, thanks, lots of folks come just to listen and relax and enjoy the beat. I think closing your eyes helps feel in tune with the tones.

    Hi Julia, thanks, too bad they only meet once a month, once a week would be even better.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment