Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Stepping Through Life


The other day I was feeling stifled by my limited budget. Then last night on television I saw Slumdog Millionaire. I haven't been to the movies in years so I never saw it when it came out in theaters. I felt guilty for feeling sorry for myself when I have so much in comparison to those portrayed in the movie. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in the streets as a child, have no home, no parents, no food, no shelter, nor any shoes. Not to mention hardships and torture, both physical and mental, that Jamal, his brother, and so many others endure. I'm not sure I'd survive nor do I think I'd be as positive about life as Jamal approached adulthood


I made this stepped tower today; it's about fourteen inches tall and four inches in diameter. Perhaps I was thinking of life as a series of steps. After I put it in the drying cabinet I thought about how stiff it looked and went back and added the cut out holes. I plan to weave some type of wire or fabric between the holes after final firing. Next month I'll start collecting social security; we're looking forward to a small increase in our income and perhaps a vacation in the fall. I'm stepping through life, many times the steps seem harder to climb the older I get. Maybe a wire or woven fabric would be easier to navigate. And yet there's that reservoir of experience below to draw from. That's the way I should think of life. My life isn't a series of heartaches or hardships but a reservoir of experiences to draw from for the future.


When I bring out a fresh block of clay, I cut the whole block up at the same time and put all the sections in plastic bags for the weeks work. It makes it easier for me to just take the precut blocks out and roll them and I re-use the plastic bags over and over again. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. Good idea about the plastic bags...you're so organized. I've also been thinking of finances, and your comments made me feel a bit better. Thanks! Love the holes in the tower...they will make additional touches very promising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's up and sometimes it's down. What a nice tower.

    Hugs
    Elna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are going to collect SS. The extra cash comes in handy. Thanks for the tip re the plastic bags. I learn so much from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slumdog Millionaire is such a good movie. I did get to see it on the big screen, and it was visually stunning.
    I know some people think the dance at the end is cheesy, but I just loved it.
    Good to hear that you can collect SS now and that it will relieve some worries for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your reservoir of experience made me smile. It's pretty much what I was thinking today as I told my granddaughter how to lift the last tiny bits of wallpaper and paint from her bedroom floor with a kitchen knife as she scrubbed it. Any job worth doing, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your depths of experience on your blog. It is always so nice to read your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda
    I had a similar reaction as you to that movie. Hope you get that vacation, we all need a break from routine now and then. Looking forward to seeing the completed stepped tower :^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Barbara, thanks, don't look in my closets or drawers if you think I am organized, Ha.

    Hi Elna, thanks, you are so right about the ups and downs, so glad the movie came at just the right time for me.

    Hi Gigi, thanks, the cash will definitely helps us cover all the bills we have piled up around here for sure.

    Hi Michele, thanks I was amazed at this movie and surprised I hadn't heard of it but then again working on my lavender farm and taking care of Gary's father took up all of my time so no wonder.

    Hi Joanne, thanks, yes isn't it amazing what experience teaches us for different problems, that is one of the reasons I like art especially the clay as it is constantly a problem solving endeavor and keeps the mind engaged and active.

    Hi Julia, thanks, I think I am good at the philosophy, but I need much practice putting all the experiences into practice. Ha.

    Hi Anna, thanks, the movie came at just the right time; I need to keep these thoughts fresh in my mind to stay positive in life.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment