Friday, August 31, 2012

What Is It


One day after making one of my strip stacked towers I had a number of left over strips already cut up. So I decided to weave them together into a grid. Then I coated the woven grid with various colors of slip. By the time I ran out of strips of clay the grid was 15 x 9 inches. I said to myself, what is it? All I knew was there was something appealing about the woven pattern to me. Somehow I was able to pick the grid up and slide it onto a newspaper. But then I thought to myself, how am I going to pick it up after it's dry without it breaking apart?


I put it in the cabinet to dry and forgot about it. A few weeks went by and I had room in the kiln. Somehow I was able to gingerly pick the grid up and set it on the top shelf, and it fired intact. Then I put it in the glaze firing and it made it again. But still I was wondering what will I do with it and what is it? I have no idea what it is but I do have a few ideas about how to use this fired grid. In fact the second photo is the second one of these grids I made and this time I made the strips curved, but as you can see this one cracked in several locations while drying. But I do like the curvy strips, so all was not lost. Stay tuned for more about the 'what is it' project in the future. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, I see it as a wall piece perhaps with some attachments? You never know what will happen when you play with clay :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Linda:
    In a contemporary setting we can easily imagine the 'grid' attached to a wall where it would look both decorative and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and I think you can put it on a wall.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking wall piece also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Linda, I was thinking you could use it to present certain types of dry food..bread rolls, fruit that kind of thing. Oh, and you've given me an idea how to possibly make a grate for the firebox of a small kiln I'm designing, so thanks for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I find your blog so fascinating, Linda. I never know what to expect from you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anna, thanks, you got that right you never know what will happen. Ha.

    Hi Jane and Lance, thanks, I'm thinking along the lines of some wall hangings.

    Hi Elna, thanks so much, yes the wall.

    Hi Lori, thanks, the walls have it.

    Hi Mark, thanks, I've made woven trays before but I usually have the weaving closer together and supported on the edges and sides, this one is rather frail with it's open sided shape. Blogs are great inspiration aren't they good luck with your grate.

    Hi Gigi, thanks, I get ideas from my own blog posts. Ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment