Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Greek Octopus and Potatoes

Please don't go squeamish on me, even though I almost did. I finally got around to cooking the octopus. I decided to honor my Greek heritage and cook Greek octopus and potatoes. It was so delicious. We had a salad with feta cheese beforehand.

I even played a Greek song on the internet via you tube while we ate our dinner. I always think the song in Zorba the Greek when I think of Greek songs.

As it turns out freezing octopus is supposed to help tenderize it. I thawed out the octopus over night. Then I washed the octopus several times. This was the part where I almost wished I hadn't gotten the octopus. They were soft and squishy and the tentacles were really long. I just couldn't pick them up so I used tongs to touch them. I was feeling bad these wonderful creatures gave up their lives for a meal. I told myself if I was willing to eat octopus in a restaurant then I should be able to make it at home.

Here I've got the octopus in water to cover and I simmered it for one hour. I read a cork in the water was supposed to help tenderize it. Don't know if that's true or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt anything.

I let the octopus cool in the water for an hour or so before I took it out and placed it in a baking dish. The octopus turns pink after cooking much like shrimp does.

 Here's the other side of the octopus with the tentacles curled up.

Next I cut off the tentacles and cut the body into smaller pieces to get ready to charbroil on the BBQ.

Wouldn't you know it the minute I got the BBQ warmed up it ran out of propane. I was going to charbroil them for three minutes on each side to get a crunchy crust on them. But I brought the octopus back in and warmed it up in the oven at 400 F. The octopus can be eaten cold since it's already cooked but I had my heart set on warmed up with lemon sauce. For the sauce I whisked lemon, olive oil, minced garlic, minced shallot, oregano and a dash of cayenne pepper. I prepared the sauce well in advance so the flavors had a chance to meld together. 

I essentially used the same sauce to marinate and cook the potatoes but added a 1/2 cup of white wine and water and also marjoram, rosemary and thyme. I let the quartered potatoes marinate for several house then baked them at 400 F for about 40 minutes till they were browned on top. I was worried I'd be left with a lot of liquid but it all baked away during the cooking.

I sprinkled the potatoes with toasted sesame seeds after they came out of the oven. Gary's already asking if we have any leftovers and it's not even 8 am. We'll have the leftovers today; I can't wait for lunch. Ha. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

10 comments:

  1. Looking at them doesn't make me squeamish... they are quite beautiful. it's the thought of eating them that makes me squeamish! I do like squid, so I imagine the taste is similar... is that right?
    Glad you enjoyed them, the marinade sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michele, thanks, if you saw them before they were cooked you might feel that way, they looked so slimy but the flavor is very mild and takes on what they are cooked in. I have never had squid so I don't know but probably similar. The potatoes were also delicious baked which I normally don't do, but this time of year I don't mind heating up the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I've never seen it like this before.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds v good. Particularly the potatoes. In six months time when I can face turning the oven on, I will have to try that.
    PS: If I buy Christmas ornaments of course I would pay postage. Only fair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! I love octopus! But I've never had it Greek style. I've only eaten Japanese style! I wish I could try some of octopie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The octopus are very beautiful! They seem like a lot of work to prepare, but if you were cooking for me, I'd definitely eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elna, thanks, they were delicious.

    Hi Elephant's Child, thanks, we had the potatoes again the next day. I got yellow potatoes this time but the red are much better I think. I think shipping overseas is very expensive, maybe there is a bulk rate or a book rate but haven't been able to find anything that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Perhaps they should give a discounted mail service once a year or something, Ha.

    Hi Connie, thanks, it was excellent, we are so lucky to have such a good fish store. It is good cold too in a salad. Next time I'll try another recipe. I have had it in SF Italian style in North Beach was delicious that way too.

    Hi Lori, thanks, well I love sharing my cooking so if you are ever in the neighborhood just let me know in advance and I'll cook you up some. They are beautiful shapes and colors for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love octopus and yours looks especially yummy! Christa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to pass on this recipe....but the potatoes...YUM I appreciate you showing us how it is done....I always wondered .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Christa, thanks, I probably never would have tried it but I had it in a restaurant and liked it so I thought why not, it was delicious.

    Hi Dee, thanks, the potatoes are delicious, I just tried backing french fries yesterday and will post those too.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment