Monday, September 15, 2014

A Gall

Last night we arrived at our campground in Carlisle Pennsylvania. I got out of the car and looked up to see this gall on a large maple tree branch. It's about a foot long. I am not sure if this is a woody gall or burl or if it's a disease type call. What do you think. It looks woody to me.

Here's our truck and trailer parked in our spot. Pulling a trailer we sleep in our own rig and take our meals so we don't have to eat out all the time, saving a few dollars.

 There are numerous rocks jutting form the earth here, Some are quite interesting.

Here's my computer station, live from me to you. Ha. Well time is limited so I'll leave you for now. Once we get to our destination in New Hampshire, I hope to have some touristy photos for you so stay tuned. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow that is a large gall. At first glance it looks kinda like a bee hive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thoughts were that some wood artist might be able to turn that into a beautiful bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't camping fun? From your convenient trailer with all the comforts of home, to my son's back packing into wilderness, and it's all called camping out! Enjoy the trail, no matter how you take it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen beautiful bowls turned from galls. That looks quite large.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also seen some incredible bowls made from burls. There is beauty everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keith, thanks, yes it sure does or a nornets nest heaven forbid.

    Hi Lori, thanks, I was thinking that too but then wondered was the interior solid or hollow or full of pith.

    Hi Barb, thanks, we used to camp more primitive but these old bones need comfort now. Ha.

    Hi Joanne, thanks, the galls or burls surely yield some beautiful grains for wood creations.

    Hi Suem tgabjsm tes so much to see everywhere without even trying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice that you can use a laptop in this environment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gigi, thanks, I felt rather decadent and then I felt rather foolish using a computer out in the wilds of nature but I do enjoy writing in my blog so I guess I have to get over my feelings of foolishness.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment