Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Driftwood Basket, New Gallery, Fall Show

Basket with Driftwood Handle
12 h x 9 w x 5 w inches

While packing some of my work to take to a couple of galleries I noticed I'd previously made this tall vase with holes on either side. I decided to add a driftwood handle. This time I've used linen cord and added a couple of glass beads. Linen cord is much easier to work with than the metal wire. I have some other basket making material in my stash which I'll be trying on other pieces. I've been leaving the driftwood natural but wondered if I should coat it with a clear varnish or some wax. What do you think? What would you recommend I use?

Sea Basket
7 h x 11 w x 6 w inches

The Fall Show is on at the Helen Arts Center and runs through October and I have three pieces in the show including my green driftwood handled basket, or sea basket. Also I was juried into the Mountain Regional Arts and Crafts Guild and their ArtWorks Artisan Center is carrying my work. The Guild's ArtWorks Artisan Center recently moved to a new, closer to downtown, location on Chatuge Street in Hiawassee, GA.

Coming up a winter squash recipe and another home improvement project. Yesterday morning there were eight turkeys in our yard but when I went outside to take their photo they all flew away. If you've ever seen a wild turkey fly they are a sight since they are so heavy it's hard for them to get any height. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Linda! I love that sea basket :) I hope you have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith, thanks, so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the handles as they are, natural. It adds a nice tactile aspect to the pieces and a nice counterpoint to the gloss of the basket itself. IMO

    I've enjoyed wild turkeys in my yard again also. Last wee, an extended family came into the yard twice, once to feed and once to seek shelter among the shrubs by the house during a downpour.There were two mamas and sixteen babies. It was quite a sight. Isn't it fun to see the wildlife? I know they're skittish about having their picture taken. I've only had success being surreptitious through the window.

    It's wonderful that you're getting some shows and gallery space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely baskets...I'd keep the handles natural...after all driftwood has its own preservative already happening. Good to hear you're getting gallery displays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your acceptance into the craft guild!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that sea-basket.
    And yes to keeping the handles natural.

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations on getting your work to so many places. I like the driftwood a natural colour. Would a wax make it smoother to touch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Teresa, thanks, it is a lot easier to leave them natural and perhaps a coating would make them not look like driftwood which I wouldn't like.

    the screen door squeaked when I opened the door and that scared them and I couldn't see them from inside because of the porch. Gary saw them and came in to tell me. Next time I'll try to be really quiet.

    Hi Barb, thanks, you're right the ocean salt water would have them preserved.

    Hi Michele, thanks, I do have to work there two days a month.

    Hi Sue, thanks, that's three for natural.

    Hi Anna, thanks, I might try putting some wax on a piece to see what it looks like. it might be smoother, although they are pretty smooth anyway from being tossed in the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the drift wood handle...natural is perfect. I am pleased to hear you have so many wonderful options to display and sell your art. You are a big inspiration to me to get off my behind and get my art out there where art belongs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dee, thanks, they cant' buy it if they don't see it and then it makes room to make more. Ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment