Sunday, March 8, 2015

Finally a Cheese Board

Third time is a charm they say. I finally have a cheese board without a crack. I've attached a piece of synthetic leather to hang the board from the wall. I'll try immersing in water to see how the material is affected after it's dry. I know real leather becomes stiff when it's wet and I hope to avoid that feeling. I'm also wondering about knot failure when the board is hanging up. Maybe the water will make the knot cinch tight to make it more secure. What do you think?

This board is thinner than the other two which cracked; I don't know if that was the difference or in how I treated the edge when making it. Several folks in the clay buddies group mentioned not wetting the edge of the piece with a sponge while making it but instead smoothing the edge with a rib or my finger. I will be sure and smooth the edge this way from now on.

There are so many different mushrooms to choose from to put on these boards. I wanted to perfect the firing though because it takes quite some time to hand brush the mushroom design only to have the piece crack in the firing. I discovered a package of brushes I forgot I had and there are a number of really thin brushes. I think the new brushes have helped to improve my line quality. I'd like to make a few boards with handles extending beyond the board section. I think that design would make it easier to carry the board to a table.

I have a few more pieces from this firing but the photos were out of focus so I'll have to retake them. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

15 comments:

  1. Hurrah! And a really nice design too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzi, thanks, finally persistence pays off, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! You have a great knowledge of plants and animals...isn't it a good place to put them as design on pots. Enjoy the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barb, thanks, yes it really is good I just have to try hard to get them to look real, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite piece! I love the mushrooms! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam, thanks, I too particularly like the shape and color of this mushroom, by the way it is a poisonous one but I still like it. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Looks great. I have a handmade wood cutting board that has a leather tie on it. I have it hanging in the kitchen, wash and use it all the time and so far the leather and knot is fine... of course the board isn't as heavy as stoneware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele, thanks, in the back of my mind I remember something hanging from a leather cord but for the life of me I can't remember, although I have a leather mushroom key chairn holder that I've had since the 1970s and it's still pliable. It's been through every kind of weather imaginable.

      Delete
  8. It is surprising just how often the third time really is the charm.
    Love your cheeseboard. And hope to see more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, you are so right, three times seems to do the trick., I can't wait to make more.

      Delete
  9. Glad that you got this one to work OK, it is frustrating (and sad) when nice things crack in the kiln. I realise that too much water can be a problem when working with clay, but I am guessing that the rib or finger verses the sponge thing is mostly about the extra compression that you almost certainly get when smoothing work with finger or rib.
    Hope your leg is healing OK after the fall of a few days ago?
    Kind thoughts, P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, thanks, my knee is twice the size of the other and I wish I knew what was happening and could afford to get an official opinion, but maybe ignorance is bliss, but at least I can bend it a little now and I am hoping for the best.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Hi Melissa, thanks, I am grateful that I have at least one for my efforts.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment