Monday, August 24, 2015

Pounce or Push Plate Forms

Look what Gary made for me - pounce or push plate forms. He cut the wood to size, sanded the rough edges, added a x 2 x 2 handle which he screwed in the middle using 2.5 inch screws. He predrilled the holes so the wood wouldn't split. I've got a square 6 x 6 and a rectangular 6 x 9, a square 8 x 8 and a rectangular 8 x 12. A 6 x 6 is about 5.6 inches square. An 8 x 8 is just over 7 x 7. Lumber is getting smaller and smaller every day.


Basically I cut a slab of clay two inches larger than the exterior dimensions of the form. I place the clay slab on a thick piece of foam and place the wood form in the center of the clay. Grasping the handle with two hands, I pounce or push downward in a quick motion which forms the plate with the excess clay being the sides of the plate or platter. Above is a good video of the pounce or push plate technique. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Linda
    I've seen that method before and one of these days I'll get around to trying it.. I've seen it done with the slab cut in the corners to be 'tied' together after the pouncing. A great video explanation too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda
    I've seen that method before and one of these days I'll get around to trying it.. I've seen it done with the slab cut in the corners to be 'tied' together after the pouncing. A great video explanation too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna, thanks, not sure what you mean by tied together in the corners. These make quick work of plates or platters I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how neat to have good forms. We've got some that a wood-working friend cut with beveled sides, which make excellent soap dish forms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barb, thanks, beveled sides, hum, must think about some of those too. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the method I use for soap dishes. They are really fun to make, but unfortunately, for me, that don't sell very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michele, thanks, when I was in Florida I made the small ones for soap plates and they sold really well and I haven't make them here. But I am planning on making some sets of plates to see if they sell. I'll use the floral texture mat on them and hopefully with breaking glazes they'll be sellers, doesn't hurt to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice, maybe I’ll teach my beginning pottery students this process, I’ll bet it will be fun for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori, thanks, easy to make and great to have successful pieces especially for beginners and they lend themselves to lots of textures.

      Delete
  9. Interesting. And how wonderful that Gary could create them for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, at first he said no I can't do those but then he made me more than I asked for. Ha.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're very handy tools to have. Keep Gary...don't throw him back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lee, thanks, I'd never throw Gary back that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment