Wednesday, January 18, 2017

A Slippery Sock

I have these socks which are thick and cushy but they are lower than anklets and they are slippery. When I walk they slip off my ankle under my foot. I wore them today because others I have are much better and don't slip but they are in the wash. The slippery socks slip inside my shoe and my ankle and heel are exposed and they are annoying and uncomfortable, I try to get them to slip back up by removing my foot from my shoe and rubbing my foot against a carpet to get them to slip back up on my heel because bending over that far is bad on my back and knee but it doesn't always work. Sometimes it works but other times it doesn't. Today dh dropped me off at the grocery and I walked up to get my cart and the darn slippery sock slipped inside my shoe.

I looked around and no one was nearby so i started to rub my sock against the carpet and the sock didn't cooperate. Next thing I know a woman in her 30s says to me, "Do you want some help" , I was so surprised, (I didn't know anyone else was around and watching me) I said "Uh", she again said "Do you want some help" (I am crying right now because some people are so wonderful I just can't even believe it) ; I realized she somehow knew my predicament and I said "no thanks I'll just let the sock stay inside the shoe, but I thank you so much for offering your help? She said ok but hesitated still wanting to help me if I wanted her help. How could I let a perfect stranger pull the sock up on my heel. I didn't really need that sock pulled up today, but some day I will. I must learn to swallow my pride and let others help me. Some day I'll accept others who are are willing to help without a selfish bone in their body.

10 comments:

  1. There really are more than a few of those women out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Hi Joanne, thanks, so many times I am amazed at the beauty of humanity of the female persuasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely.
    And yes, some day I will learn to accept help too. Some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, it isn't easy for me I guess I too used to relying upon myself.

      Delete
  4. It is difficult for us gals who have always been able to do it all, isn't it? I'm learning a bit at a time to accept help when it is offered. But it is still hard some days. I know you as a kind, sensitive person, who is always ready to help others. But yes, I wouldn't have wanted a stranger to pull up my sock for me. Maybe next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, maybe next time, especially since I was wearing my old clod hopper shoes. Ha.

      Delete
  5. nice to know people are willing to help when they see the need even if it isn't taken ... one day you will take the offer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, thanks, I once had a guy working at my home when I hurt my back and I had to take his help or I would not have been able to make it to the bed. desperation has a way of forcing the hand sometimes.

      Delete
  6. I know that feeling of being taken by surprise when someone offers to help.

    Similar happened to me the other day (not about a slipping sock...I think you should toss those...they will end up causing an accident) - I was fiddling around with something in my shopping trolley and out of the blue someone asked if I needed a hand.

    I didn't, but it was nice to know someone thought I did, and was generous enough in spirit to offer. I smiled back at the kind stranger and thanked them very much for the thought. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment