Monday, April 24, 2017

Planned Obsolescence

Nowadays it seems everything is made with planned obsolescence. When we moved here just over three years ago, the kitchen appliances were all new. A year ago our microwave broke and now our dishwasher has broken. It costs more to fix them then it does to purchase a new one. Years ago appliances would last for years.

Now new fangled appliances which use less water and electricity to run seem to quit working far too soon. When I add up the cost of the dishwasher and the refrigerator and divide that number by 3 for the years we've lived here, it adds up to a big expense. Just keeping things in good working order is eating me out of house and home. I think appliances should last at least ten years. What do you think? What have your experiences with appliances been. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

7 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly.
    I remember when a)appliances lasted longer and b) they could be repaired.
    I really don't like our throw-away society. It is expensive and wasteful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, yes these new appliances are supposed to be environmentally friendly but if they have to be thrown away and made over and over again, how can that be good for the environment.

      Delete
  2. It's discouraging to say the least.
    Our electric stove finally passed beyond the point of repair after over thirty years of hard use. I doubt we'll find anything with that longevity to replace it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, I am wishing I some old appliances which last that long. All I can say is don't get the least expensive one and an extended warranty might be worth getting.

      Delete
  3. It's too bad your appliances broke so soon. Ours tend to last longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi, thanks, I think the appliances put into this home were builder grade and the least expensive which is probably why they didn't last as long.

      Delete
  4. The only dishwasher I have is me. I suppose I could be classed sometimes as being "broken down"! :)

    I have a microwave that I've not used in over 15 years. It's out in the back area gathering dust and cobwebs. I keep meaning to take it to the dump...I will one of these days.

    I'm not a fan of microwaves...never have been. The first one I had back in the early 80s I sold to a friend. The second one had belonged to my brother; after he passed away it ended up with me; and I ended up giving it away to a friend.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment