Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Creamers

My photo doesn't do justice to these creamers; you'll have to trust the fact they are truly one of the finest southern summer meals you'll eat. At the farmer's market the farmer's refer to them simply as creamers. These peas are also referred to as zipper peas or lady cream peas. Similar to black eyed peas these peas do not have the black eye and have a creamier consistency hence their name.

4 cups of creamer peas
1/2 pound of bacon, chopped in one inch pieces
1/2 yellow onion chopped fine
3 garlic cloves mashed and chopped fine
2 cups of water
1 tomato chopped fine
1 teaspoon of dried or fresh oregano
1 teaspoon of dried cumin
several dashes of paprika
dash or two of dried chipotle pepper

Saute the bacon pieces till cooked through but not hard. Drain off excess fat reserving enough to then saute onion and garlic. Add  remaining ingredients and simmer till peas are soft and flavors are melded. I decided to serve them over rice to soak up the juices. Oh the larger green beans you see are a few Cherokee black beans which reseeded themselves from last year. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think we get them - certainly not under those names anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, they are also called zipper peas, similar to black eyed peas but no black eye.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of them, and I thought I was a southern gal. Will keep my eye out for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I never heard of them till I moved here, in Arkansas they all swore by black eyed peas.

      Delete
  3. You had me at "bacon"! Sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanne, thanks, guess what, I have been having a craving for bacon for a week so I bought the creamers just so I could have some bacon which I rarely eat due to the fat and all. Ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment