Sunday, July 23, 2017

Salmon Salad without Mayonnaise


2 cans canned salmon, drained well
1 red bell pepper chopped fine
1 small bottle of capers, drained and patted dry
1 small shallot chopped fine
2 teaspoons of dried dill
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped fine

2 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon of very hot water
2 tablespoon of cider vinegar
2 teaspoon of soy
1 tablespoon of sherry or marsala wine

Put canned salmon in bowl and break apart gently with fork. Add remaining five ingredients and toss gently. Right before serving prepare dressing of last five ingredients. First whisk honey with hot water then add remaining 3 ingredients and whisk well drizzle over salad and toss gently. To the salad I had added dry mustard but next time I think I'll use dijon mustard in the dressing instead.

We had this salad at the farmer's market; I put the salad containers on a bed of ice in a pot so they stay cold. I made the first part of the salad the night before and made the dressing the next morning and added it to the salad then. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

4 comments:

  1. I love canned salmon; and I love salmon fillets.

    I never use mayonnaise....ever.

    This recipes looks delicious, Linda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee, thanks, I remember you said you never use mayonnaise, my mom always told me that mayonnaise could spoil very easily in hot weather so hesitant to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds tasty - and easy to prepare. Win/win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, thanks, this salad is tasty and it holds up for several days even after adding the dressing since we just had the last of it this evening.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment