Monday, August 21, 2017

Mystery Flower - Clitoria or Centrosema ?

This lavender flower has popped up in my garden among the weeds. I have no idea what it is. Click on the photos to make them larger to see the flower detail. UPDATE: I have narrowed this search down to Clitoria mariana, Butterfly Pea, or Centrosema virginianum, Spurred Butterfly Pea.

 The flower looks a bit like a penstemon flower, but then again it looks like an orchid flower too.

I tried to see which leaf belonged with it but it's mixed in so closely with what looks like grass weeds I am hesitant to disturb it much since there are only two blooms and one bud. Do you know what it is? Happy Solar Eclipse to you all.

4 comments:

  1. Is the blossom from a bulb? It looks like a fall blooming bulb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joanne, thanks, see the large leaf, I think that might be it's leaf, I'll check it closer tomorrow to see if the grass like blades are from it or the large leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pretty thing. It looks like one of the lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, thanks, it's too small to be a lily, I am sure someone will know what it is since there are so few flowers I can't pick on for identification with the locals, we shall see.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment