Monday, February 19, 2018

Late Winter Planting

As I mentioned earlier, we've had a warm snap. I hope I'm not pushing the weather envelope too much by establishing a late winter planting. Tree buds are starting to swell so perhaps I'm right taking a cue from mother nature. Here you see swiss chard 'bright lights' and a green leaf lettuce squeezed in.
In my bin I've planted arugula, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, stir fry broccoli (perhaps it's broccolini) and more of the same bright lights swiss chard. If we get a freeze I'll cover the plants with a sheet. I've never grown arugula before. I've been reading it's extremely nutritious, lots of vitamin K and other benefits. I wish I had more room to put more bins but then again I'd have to take care of them all.

To the right of the bin is my four foot rosemary plant which looks like it might have died. However, I've learned waiting till the middle of summer is best because many plants come back as late as that. This comes from years of gardening experience. We shall see.

Happy Presidents Day to all the presidents including Donald J Trump. For those who have sefrved in the hardest job in the world we should, at the very least, honor them for that service. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the garden. Happy Presidents' Day. Aloha from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gigi, thanks, so far the weather is holding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you've got a healthy lot of vegies planted....some good meals lay ahead.

    I think it's gotten to the point that people just like to dump on Trump out of habit...and for many, it's a case of following what their peers and friends say and do. Give the bloke a fair go, I say!

    Happy President's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee, thanks, you are so right, give him a chance. He didn't have to run for the presidency; I am sure he had a full life but chose to because he loved his country.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment