Thursday, June 28, 2018

Invasion of the Cucumber Vines

There's an invasion of cucumber vines in the garden.
This is two lemon cucumber plants.
They're planted on the edge at either end of the bin. 
So much for the stepping stones. they won't be seen for months now.
Here's what the vines look like from above.
 I have to keep moving them to keep them from covering up the lavender and spanish tarragon plants. I also have to keep them from climbing up the pepper plants. They seem to grow a foot every day.
Here's the first lemon cucumber I can find.
I'll have to keep a close eye out
because they're hidden underneath all the leaves.
Here's my first eggplant.
 We've been getting rain every day.
That's good and bad.
There are some of my garden salsa peppers.
I read about them and I guess they are quite hot.
I may have to dry them and use them in soups this winter.
The plants in my other bin aren't doing as well.
The fennel are doing ok, but the squash aren't doing much at all.
The tomato plants in front aren't doing much either. Too much rain.
Here's Barney smelling the lavender flowers.
I decided to pick the one cucumber to try it out.
It probably could have gone a bit longer.
It was delicious, mild and sweet.
Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. Those cucumbers were obviously crossed with triffids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, thanks, never heard of a triffid, had to look it up, yes I think they are taking over, hopefully they wont eat me and I can eat them. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cucumber title inspired me to visit from Meesh's blog. My husband was overzealous with planting cucumbers this year. We have them in 5 areas, and I picked 11 this morning. The first two people I offered some to declined. I'm hoping the third one's the charm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurie, thanks, I guess if they were pickling cucumbers I'd be able to put them to good use. I plan to sell any extras at my farmer's market or share them with neighbors and friends, we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have eaten cucumbers, but never lemon cucumbers! Will have to look for them in Central Market. Also your eggplant looks different from what I'm used to. What kind of eggplant is it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rian, thanks, the eggplant is a Japanese eggplant, more narrow and slender, easier to cook with for two such as uc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden looks fantastic! I can't wait to see tomatoes that big up here! Have you tasted the lemon cucumbers yet, I've always been curious if they would be good to try. And nary an eggplant in sight up here...... too much rain. I dream of grilled eggplant before the snow flies ...... Barney and lavender, a good match :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We call them "apple cucumbers" here...and I've not seen any for a long while now that I come to think of it.

    Barney doesn't need any cologne - he just brushes against the lavender. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment