Friday, July 22, 2011
Vine and Flower Pedestal
Sometimes even if a piece has a problem I know about, I glaze fire it anyway. I'm learning there's a lot to be learned from doing this. You might recall one of the flower buds on this pedestal fell off before the bisque. Look here to see how I used vinegar slip to attach it. I fired it in the bisque and it held and I was amazed.
After the bisque I noticed there was a small crack in the top bowl portion. Whoa is me! Strange little crack, perhaps I pressed too hard when attaching it to the base. But if I didn't glaze fire the piece I wouldn't know if the flower bud would also hold on during the glaze firing. So I took just as much care glazing the piece as if it didn't have any flaws.
Well the flower bud held on during the glaze, good news. But the glaze ran. I put on too much yellow glaze trying to cover up the vinegar slip patch. Darn, but the flower bud stayed put and it's firmly attached after the patch job. I think that flower bud is too large, I like the smaller sized ones with this piece.
But have a closer look at the vines and buds. I love how they stand out from the piece as if they're barely attached just clinging to a wall. I like how the clay color is showing through; semi-rough against the smooth background glaze.
I learned a lot from this one piece being fired. Vinegar is my friend, too much glaze is not, persistence and perservance will definitely help my clay knowledge and progress. I'll be working on more pieces with vines very soon. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.
© Linda Starr