Friday, September 23, 2011

Horse of a Different Color


Horse of a Different Color
@ 10 x 10 wall hanging

Today I took a small detour with an equine portrait. Something I thought about with these wall hangings was to incorporate a faux frame around the piece drawn with stain or slip. That's what I did with this horse wall hanging. I could put shading on the inside of the frame to make it look more three dimensional. Then again I could add a sprig for a frame too.

I started out with defined lines of color and didn't like that effect. So I used a special tool to blend and soften the colors, my finger dampened with water. Ha. I might take out the two pieces of mane on the upper left. Perhaps the blue ears could be larger. Some of the details jump out at me after I look at a photo of the piece. I started work on Gary, that'll be coming up next so stay tuned. Thanks for reading and for all your encouragement.

3 comments:

  1. Caught up a bit on your blog today. Great photos, drum/full moon event, and art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The horse is beautiful, I might try making the ears larger too if I were you. Taking a picture of a piece and looking at the photo is a great way to re-see your work. I may try that on a few pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, thanks, we've been busy and having fun too.

    Hi Lori, thanks, I "see" so much this way and later I can compare the green piece to the finished piece too; sometimes the change in size is good to see too.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment