Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Clay Bloopers

Here are various clay bloopers, most have broken pieces or are warped. I keep trying with the circle and woven baskets but there's lots of loss.





 Had the idea to make a half round piece with a hidden compartment behind.

One side warped outward, next time I'll keep paper tape on it. Still I'm amazed I could make the strips stand up vertical and not separate.

The patches you see on the pot on the left were to block the holes to I could pour glaze on the interior. I got them all patched and poured in the glaze and noticed all the glaze was running all over the table. I had forgotten to patch one hole at the bottom. What a mess it made. I was able to clean it all up and get it reglazed and it's in the kiln right now.

This is a chain reaction of clay circles. I though to make some type of sculpture with that name but this wasn't quite what I had in mind. Now that I've shown you they're headed to the scrap pile. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. Isn't clay fun? Recently a fellow potter after dealing with kiln problems swore he was going to work at Walmart!

    Keep trying there is tremendous potential in what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see processes that don't work. I just spent a week on something that cracked apart on the shelf waiting to load into kiln. I think you still can do the secret compartment...it sounds like a great idea. Keep on doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh... we've all been there haven't we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My clay bloopers looks like a recycle bucket, I'm never without clay because I recycle so much of it. Why don't we call these educational tools?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing these! As a relative newbie, I get discouraged seeing only the perfect outcomes on many blogs. Maybe there's hope for me yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love being privileged to see behind the completed masterpieces - thank you.
    And that third photograph has reminded me of a flower - a specific one. I cannot remember which. Which is irritating. So very irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Suzi, thanks I know just how your friend feels.

    Hi Barbara, thanks, just proves you never know where my mind wanders.

    Hi Michele, thanks, that's for sure.

    Hi Lori, thanks, yes they are all educational tools, can't learn if you don't fail I guess.

    Hi Lauren, thanks, oh there's lots of disappointment behind the scenes and on the shelves of many potters, just keep making work.

    Hi Elephant's Child, thanks, I'll have to go back and look at the third one. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sort of wish they weren't headed for the scrap pile. I was visualizing them all different colors...& kind of lovely.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment