Friday, October 19, 2012

Florida Stone Crab Season

It's stone crab season in Florida and other areas as well. I got one pound of floaters from Shelly's Seafood in Homosassa. Floaters are crab which are molting to the next size. There is less meat in the claw but they are also less expensive to purchase. Only one leg is harvested from the crab and they are returned to the gulf to grow another leg which they do quite readily much like a lizard can grow a new tail. Gary is allergic to crab so I had to eat them all myself dipping them in a little melted butter. Ha.

In other news the gopher tortoise is enlarging it's den for the winter season. The tortoise pushes his head up and pushes out the sandy soil.

The tortoise are also coming out later in the day when it finally warms up. I imagine they are fattening up in preparation for their winter slumber. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. How interesting. None of this could ever happen in my back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that about crabs! Does taste good though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Gary. Those crab sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tortoises really are hard workers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanne, thanks, only in florida.

    Hi Barbara, thanks, I never knew till I moved here either.

    Hi Lori, thanks, yeah Gary is missingout.

    Hi Ms. Sparrow, thanks, they are really hard workers, do't want to drive over the spot they are excavating either, might sink in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of the gopher tortoise - and to see his/her picture was lovely. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment