Here are the colored slip painted wild aster plates from this firing. For this one I used a lavender colored slip for the border decoration. I like the lavender but I don't like how I went out of the lines. To achieve the thin lines of the aster petals a steady hand is needed. I dip my brush often but wipe it off slightly before applying it to the wet clay. When the plate is bone dry I bisque fire it.
For this plate I used a copper carbonate wash over the border decoration. After I bisque fire the plate I apply a clear satin glaze over the plate and glaze fire it. I notice clear satin makes a darker green compared to the plates with leaves glazed with a green glaze in the previous post. Each glaze covering colored slips or stains affects the final outcome of the color.
This is the first plate I made and I almost threw it away but decided to fire it just to see how the colored slips would fire. I don't like the dark gray stems and leaves and my line quality isn't very good on this one. I also like the plates with the wider and more free form border much better than the plain one here. Although I might like a striped border rather than the floral texture. I was trying for a more loose line style with this plate but I like the more controlled lines of the first two.
I textured the bottoms of some of the plates to see how I like that treatment. Picking up a plate or bowl with a textured bottom feels more secure in one hand than a smooth surfaced one. I used an iron oxide pencil to sign my name since I have a textured bottom. The kiln has just fired another load and is cooling down; I can't wait to unload to see how the larger platters turned out. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.