Saturday, December 14, 2013

Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire; I think of that song whenever I think of chestnuts. I noticed packages of fresh chestnuts in the grocery so I decided to splurge. The global economy still surprises me; my package of chestnuts said 'Product of Korea'. Here's Nat King Cole singing the traditional Christmas song.



The Christmas Song

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire,
Jack Frost nipping on your nose,
Yuletide carols being sung by a choir,
And folks dressed up like Eskimos.'

Everybody knows a turkey and some mistletoe,
Help to make the season bright,
Tiny tots with their eyes all aglow,
Will find it hard to sleep tonight.

They know Santa's on his way;
He's loaded lots of toys and goodies on his sleigh.
And every mother's child is going to spy,
To see if reindeer know how to fly.

And so I'm offering this simple phrase,
To kids from one to ninety-two,
Although it's been said many times, many ways
A very Merry Christmas to you.

When I got home I said to Gary I don't know how to roast the chestnuts. He said why did you buy them. I said because I can look it up on the net and find out how. Here is a video which explains how to roast the chestnuts much butter than I can.



This weekend I'll try my luck with the recipe and see how the chestnuts turn out. If you see chestnuts in the grocery, give them a try. Chestnuts are the only nut with Vitamin C and lots of other nutrients good for you. Images borrowed from the net. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. We have two Chinese chestnuts here. I know we had to pierce them or they exploded. Can't wait to hear what you think of your chestnuts. I'm ok with them, can't say they're a go to food for me but they smell great and a nice treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember buying and eating roasted chestnuts from vendors in Paris back in November 1969. Ah, memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A neighbour had a chestnut tree, and my German father was very, very fond of them. I don't think I have had them in over twenty years. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember 100 yrs ago our native chestnuts were killed off by blight.This probably gave overseas suppliers a big boost and helped expand their industry..

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad occasionally bought a bag of chestnuts, but I have no idea what happened to them next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband loves them. Last ones I bought came from Italy. They are kind of pricey.
    Am so enjoying your blog and travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a chestnut farm in the Santa Cruz mountains. Every year we buy some to roast at Christmas. Yummy post, Linda! Now I need to catch up reading your previous posts. Happy Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for all your comments; I have limited time on the internet and it so slow as I am sharing the web with others, thanks for all your comments, I made the chestnuts and put them in aluminum foil and cooked them over the campfire and they were good, Gary doesn't like them so I had to eat them all, although some of them were burnt so didn't eat those.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment