Friday, April 11, 2014

Weaving Clay, Shake the Dust

There are some forms in clay which I return to; one is weaving clay. Last week I made a fairly large woven bowl or basket but it broke in several places so I smashed it to make more slip.

I did manage to keep a small woven bowl together. Since it's been so long since I worked in clay I find I'm a bit out of practice with some of my techniques like weaving clay.

Anis Mojgani performs Shake the Dust at HEAVY AND LIGHT. from To Write Love on Her Arms. on Vimeo.

Jenny Mendes shared this poem, Shake the Dust, by Anis Mojgani and I thought it was worth re-sharing. Happy Friday to you all. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

4 comments:

  1. Several people in our pottery class make woven clay baskets. They are really nice... and I've yet to attempt one. But I've seen a lot of them break in the kiln.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you weaving clay...a pursuit I've just avoided like the plague.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the work - and admire the skill. And suspect that you will regain your 'bicycle riding' skills very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rian, thanks, hopefully this won't break in the kiln. I've broken them carrying them to the kiln but never had them break in the kiln.

    Hi Barbara, thanks, it's a challenge to get it all put together before the strips of clay dry out, but a fun challenge to me.

    Hi Elephant's Child, thanks, I am slowly getting back into the groove. Ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment