Monday, August 28, 2017

Fig, Apple, Pear Chutney

 fresh figs

When Gary and I were first married we used to go four wheeling in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California where we lived. One day we were driving on a trail with another couple near the American River and came across an old homestead. The buildings were long since gone but still growing nearby were two huge fig trees and the figs happened to be ripe. The four of us picked and picked greedily taking advantage of the harvest left for us. On the way back home we all started to itch terribly. Fig leaves contain latex and can cause an itch or worse a rash or allergy. We couldn't wait to get home and take a shower. Later with all the figs, I decided to make fig jam. One of the most delicious jams I've ever made.

jar of chutney

Yesterday at the farmer's market one farmer had some fresh figs. I couldn't resist getting a small box of them. Then I got home and thought the figs deserved to be transformed into something wonderful.

 Fig, Apple, Pear Chutney on Cracker with Cheese

I decided to make fig, apple, pear chutney. I still had my home grown shallots so decided to use those in the recipe. This recipe is a combination of several I found on the internet.

 I peeled and sliced all the shallots and sauteed them and then left them to caramelize a bit. 

 Carmelizing Shallots

While the shallots were cooking I zested one lemon and squeezed the juice as well. I grated some fresh ginger, and got a small bundle of fresh thyme from my garden and stripped the leaves off.

I chopped one package of dried Mission figs.

 I chopped the fresh figs (chop these last).

I chopped two apples, two pears, added the dried figs, half a cup of golden raisins, one cup of dry red wine, half a cup of red wine vinegar, the lemon juice, zest, ginger, and thyme to a pot. I also added spices of cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, cardamom, salt and pepper, and a dash of cayenne. I didn't measure the spices but about a half to one teaspoon full should be good. Towards the end of the cooking add the fresh chopped figs. It takes about an hour or so for the mixture to cook down and for the flavors to meld. Next time I'll chop the apples into smaller pieces.

Here's the chutney after it's cooked. Chutney should be chunky with bits of fruit, unlike a butter which is smooth. It makes eight half pint jars. I sold my canning equipment before I left Florida so I will refrigerate these jars and give some as gifts. The chutney will keep in the refrigerator for about four weeks.

We tasted the chutney on a cracker with cheese and it's so delicious. Chutney is often served this way or with pork, chicken, or quail as a condiment. Even on fresh bread with cheese it would be delicious. The fig, apple, pear chutney is the perfect treat as the Autumn weather starts to approach.

So sad for all the folks in Texas, Gary and I trying to think of ways we can help them. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. Yum on the chutney front.
    And my heart aches for those in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I checked the grocery and there was only one bottle of chutney and it was half the size of these for $6.48, yikes. So sad all the devastation, still continuing there.

      Delete
  2. Linda, we have 2 fig trees, a Celeste and a Turkey Fig. The Celeste makes small sweet figs (which we love to eat fresh) and the Turkey makes larger not as sweet, but good figs. We generally let the squirrels, birds, and box turtles have the Turkey figs while we fight them for the Celeste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, oh how wonderful to have the fig trees, the jam is so easy to make and so delicious. I gave the ones I had years ago as holiday presents I made so much. Hope you and all your relatives are doing ok with all the flooding.

      Delete
  3. I love figs, and I love chutney, particularly home-made chutney. And yours looks very tasty, Linda! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee, thanks, I gave a couple of jars to my neighbor and she said it was the most delicious food she ever tasted, she said she is liking that I give her food she has never tried, her dh won't try a thing though. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What makes my mouth water? Just thinking of figs. And then the thought of chutney with all those other flavors. Oh my goodness. Sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barbara, thanks, the chutney is so divine, I am now thinking of making a tomato and onion chutney, we shall see, life is too short not to experiment with common food ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment