Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Plain Okra

Okra doesn't have to be breaded to be delicious. Plain okra is just as good. Just slice into pieces and toss with a little olive oil so it doesn't stick to the pan and bake at 425 F for 30 minutes. Serve as is or with chipotle dipping sauce. Click link for the chipotle dipping sauce recipe.

Gary said he'd never had okra till we moved to Arkansas. Of course I had it because my grandmother would serve it often when we went to visit her. I miss my grandmother; she passed away at 100 years old. Okra is a member of the mallow family and the flowers are a treat to see. Pick your okra when small, less than six inches, because the pods become tough and fibrous if left to grow for too long. I didn't realize the leaves of the okra plant can also be eaten and the stems produce a fiber used industrially. The seeds can be used as a coffee substitute.

Keep your okra pods dry to prevent the slime. I never notice any when I cook it. Perhaps baked or fried it doesn't produce the slime. Click this link for okra to see all the vitamins and minerals okra contains, not to mention the fiber. Photos of flower and pod are from the link. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

12 comments:

  1. Something I don't think I have ever had. I rarely see it here as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I love it, some folks don't but to be fair I can acquire a taste for just about any type of food, little to no sugar or processed foods in my diet so I think my taste buds have developed to like most foods.

      Delete
  2. Well I'm glad you're enjoying it, and you can have my share. I did get a pic of one of the flowers in a garden the other day, so I'm glad to know what it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, looks like a rose of sharon or hibiscus.

      Delete
  3. it isn't common here but I might have to try it again one day.. the flower is much like our native hibiscus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, thanks, apparently it's really nutritious and in developing countries can help stave off malnutrition.

      Delete
  4. you own beautiful blog my friend!
    my (late) mom used to grow lots of veggies including okra and it's taste was unforgettable .
    though now we live in another city and buy this vigie but it does ot taste like that older home grown one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Baili, thanks, local home grown is definitely the best, sometimes the farmers here have a purple variety too, but it does turn green after cooking.

      Delete
  5. Linda, I really like Okra. DH likes it fried best, but I like it dried or in Okra gumbo with chicken and sausage. But I have to admit, I've never seen an okra plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, I remember you told me about dried and I tried that last year, thanks for the reminder, may try it again, I'll have to make gumbo one of these days.

      Delete
  6. Okra isn't eaten much in this country. And quite a few years have flown by since I've eaten okra. Over 20 years to be exact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, I am surprised okra isn't popular, it loves the heat but I think I may need humidity.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment