Saturday, March 24, 2018

Roasted Asparagus

Occasionally I watch cooking shows on the food network channels. The Barefoot Contessa was mentioning vegetables take on a unique and more delicious flavor when roasted. Usually I steam my vegetables but today I decided to roast some asparagus. I can indeed attest roasting enhances the flavor of vegetables.

Preheat your oven to 425 F. Prepare your asparagus and place on baking sheet or pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes until they begin to take on some crisp color. Watch closely so as not to burn them. Sprinkle with some parmesan cheese and enjoy.

If I lived close enough and had the money I'd go to a culinary school to learn even more about cooking. For now I guess I'll stick with watching cooking shows on TV. Thanks for reading and for all you comments.

12 comments:

  1. Now that's a dish that's simple and absolutely heavenly! I do some garlic also, and by everything getting just a bit brown, it also caramelizes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, oh I'll have to try the garlic next time.

      Delete
  2. Growing up we never had asparagus except from a can (rarely) and I wasn't really a fan. Then I discovered fresh asparagus. Luxury. I have stir fried it and used it in risotto but never roasted it. Thank you. When it comes into season again I will have to remember this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, we never did either even though I was in California a good part of the time and it was plentiful.

      Delete
  3. We didn't eat a lot of fresh veggies growing up... mostly canned or frozen. But when I discovered fresh, I realized how much I liked veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, we had the same canned vegetables when i was growing up, about all our family could afford

      Delete
  4. I've been eating a lot of fresh asparagus lately (and canned, as well). I've always loved asparagus, fresh and canned.

    From some of the fresh bundles I made a big pot of asparagus soup...and some is in meal-size containers in my freezer for future enjoyment, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, I rarely get canned vege's but do have frozen much of the winter. Oh soup, never have enough fresh to make soup as it is quite costly. I keep meaning to grow some but not much growing room here.

      Delete
  5. Those look good. Thanks for the recipe. I usually get my new recipes online, not the TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi, thanks, with the cold winter weather the cooking shows on tv are entertaining and I love seeing the methods of cooking almost in person.

      Delete
  6. Yummy! Asparagus is a real treat, and so nice when it is really fresh. Roasting works well for so many things, we had roast sweet corn for our meal tonight with some carrots, potatoes, broccoli, and two small peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, thanks, I'm going to have to try other vegetables this way, have made fennel and okra but not many others.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment