Monday, June 18, 2018

Swinging Bird House

Over ten years ago an old time friend of ours made us this log cabin swinging bird house. We'd kept it inside our home for years. When we moved here we noticed hooks on the back covered porch so we hung it up. It swung facing east. This Spring I asked Gary to reach up and turn the bird house the other direction. As you can see birds have taken up residence in the swinging bird house.
Here is the bird with a seed in her mouth ready to bring it to the nest. She chirps loudly if Barney or we are nearby and waits till we leave before entering the nest. She chirps so much that Barney now ignores her. Since the bird house is hanging there is no way Barney can reach it.
I am keeping a close eye out for when the baby birds fledge. I'll have to keep Barney in the house then. Both the mother and the father bring food to the nest. Can you recognize the variety of bird? It holds its tail up in the air. I think it's a type of warbler. If so please let me know. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

UPDATE: This might be a Carolina Wren or Bewick's Wren

8 comments:

  1. Oh she's so pretty. I don't know birds to identify warblers. I'm having fewer and fewer comments on my blogs with this new system, and I miss the interactions it used to provide. Glad you still do say things to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I notice I don't get emails from commenters any longer, not sure what is happening.

      Delete
    2. The no email thing is a blogger glitch which they tell us they are working on.

      Delete
  2. Not sure on the bird either, but wrens hold their tails high...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, oh they do don't they, will have to look that up.

      Delete
  3. I think it's a wren. Their tails go up. "The wren, the wren, the king of all birds; St. Peter's day was out in the woods..."
    I love the little wrennies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanne, thanks, I thought you would know, not familiar with the rhyme, must look it up. These two wrens here are so endearing, chirping all day long, even chirping with the seed in their mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that your feeder has found residents. And that they are raising a family.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment