Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Opening Doors


Adobe Door with Gas Light
8.5 x 6 x 1 inch

The gas light in this door looks so realistic I can't wait to try creating more pieces with flames. I'd like to make a fireplace with flames and see if I can make the flames appear just as realistic. I like the blended colors for the adobe. These doors might look good framed in frames but maybe not. I originally intended them to hang on the wall as they are which might be better.


Rusted Door in Brick Wall
9.75 x 7.25 x 1 inch

The bricks are almost too bright for this rusted door. I did tone them down with underglaze before firing, but the red was much more dominant during firing and overpowered the lighter colors. Not sure if I'll add some acrylic over the top of them. That's a risky business because once the paint hits the fired clay I'm not sure I can remove or adjust it. I'll have to make more test tiles to perfect those techniques. When I showed this piece to Gary he remembers where the door is in the desert. One of these days we hope to do some more traveling to any ghost town left here in the United States.


Door Sixty One
9.75 x 7.25 x 1.25 inches

I have a real respect for finish carpenters after making this door. This piece has close to sixty one pieces in it and I even mitered the door sections just like a carpenter would. I've been meaning to get one of those wire bevel tools, I think I may order one. I used a needle too to cut my bevels and the bevels would be much neater and easier to cut with that wire bevel tool.

I feel like I'm opening doors with my new work. Might as well open them up and see where they lead. A conversation, more shrines, and wall tiles coming up next. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

13 comments:

  1. I really like the fireplace idea. I think these pieces will do really well in the coffee shop where you're selling your wall pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori, thanks, that coffee shop only has so much room. I am checking into other locations very soon, need to get my work out there for folks to see and buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work!! I love the idea of a door series...what is behind each of them and whose lives do they conceal?

    Looking forward to more of your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda, thanks, yes a door does invite curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fireplace is really cool!
    Thx for commenting on my blog... henna cones with paste in it is made out of dried and powdered leaves that stain the color of crimson red/orange on skin, hair, clothes or leather. The green paste dries out in 2-3 hrs and turns out to form one tone tattoo that gradually fade away in 10-14 days. Organic henna is safe on skin vs synthetics....
    http://mehndi-patterns.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/rajasthan-mehndi-designs-2-344x400.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. The doors are great Linda, try a manganese, copper or black iron oxide wash to tone them down if you think they are too bright

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paliz, thanks so much about the henna. I'm working on that fireplace.

    Hi Tracey, thanks, I'll give those a try, I need to make more and more test tiles. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really like the color scheme of the adobe door and the gaslight did come out great!
    Give the copper or iron oxide a try on the bricks but i would skip manganese... we don't use manganese in our studio, can be toxic over time, if not used very carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice doors, Linda! Each one evokes a sense of the space it opens into.
    I would experiment on tests before trying colors over your piece. You might find that graying down the white grout will be all you need to do to make the red less bright.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That gas light is such a neat feature. Each door holds a story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Linda, yeah I forgot to mention the toxic part about manganese, but you can wear gloves,wear a mask, use caution, blah blah... I don't use a lot but it is nice for some things :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Michele, thanks, I knew about manganese being toxic, I think the black mason stain I use has manganese in it but I am careful.

    Hi Suzi, thanks, I may just try some tan in the grout lines and that will tone it down. Since it's already fired I don't want to ruin it as these take quite a bit of time to make then a long time to dry.

    Hi Patti, thanks, nice thought, a story for those viewing the door and each one would be different depending upon the viewer.

    Hi Tracey, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like all of your doors!

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment