Tuesday, April 2, 2013

NY Times Bowls

The New York Times asked folks to submit photos of their favorite bowls. Click the link to see lots of bowls in a myriad of shapes, sizes, designs, colors, patterns, etc. Definitely worth the time to take a look at the slide show of bowls. Perhaps you have a favorite bowl to add to the group.

I submitted my wave and sand pedestal bowl. Click this link to read how I designed and made this bowl.  Hidden behind my bowl in the first photo is an unopened can of vegetables. My bowl is propped against the can allowing me to take the photograph. Sometimes if I think the bowl may slip down I put some painter's tape under the rim to hold it in place. I really must make more pedestal bowls. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, you really MUST make more pedestal bowls...I love the gathered together feeling of this one's stand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I wrote about the same article today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they show yours in the article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent way too much time looking at the bowls on the NYT yesterday! I submitted one of Jeff's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of uses for this pretty bowl. How deep or shallow is it? Are the handles strong enough to carry a bowlful of apples and bananas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason I couldn't access the link - it told me (repeatedly) that the page was not found.

    I love your bowl (as always) though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting to see how you made this bowl, particularly the pedestal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Barbara, thanks, I sometimes amaze myself at what I come up with when I just play around. Ha.

    Hi Lori, thanks, what a good think to increase public awareness.

    Hi Ms. Sparrow, thanks, the are all posted at the link.

    Hi Michele, thanks, I saw Jeff's bowl which is spectacular when I looked. I looked again today and there a tons more bowls.

    Hi Gigi, thanks, it's about two inches in depth and the handles are quite strong. Once clay is vitrified (solidified) it is quite strong, more than I used to suspect.

    Hi Elephant's Child, thanks, I just checked the link today and it took me directly to it, perhaps it's intermittently unavailable as more bowls are added.

    Hi Robyn, thanks, sometimes letting go with the clay takes me in unexpectedly good places.

    Hi Mary, thanks, I am so happy with how it turned out with the overlapping of the two glazes. Experimentation sometimes leads to good places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very unique and artsy...love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment