Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Ultimate Couch Potato & Mid Century Modern Furniture

Gary arrived home safely last night. He picked up a couple of coffee tables at the Ocala ReStore while he was in Florida. This first one is a riser table which I consider the ultimate couch potato table. I borrowed these photos from the ReStore site. I'm not sure I like the curved legs but the table is definitely functional. I think a person could sit on a couch and not even lean over to reach the table if it were full of snacks. Then again the table could also be used for writing or setting your laptop on.

Gary can't wait to see how this table works out in the loft. We got the table out of his truck but it is so heavy we'll wait to carry it inside when we can get some help. I think the legs must be solid steel. Gary's setting the loft up as a semi man cave. I say semi because I'll use it occasionally. He's furnished the loft with a leather couch with recliners and a big screen TV and now he's added this riser coffee table. All he needs is a mini frig full of beer up there. Ha.

Here's the other coffee table he picked up. I had sent him to the ReStore because I saw this Mersman coffee table advertised on Craigslist and then he found the table above while he was there. I love the triangular shape to the table and the floating lower shelf. Gary and I love mid century modern and I think this table will fit the bill in our small living room. (I found this link to City Issue, a mid century modern store in Atlanta, can't wait to take a trip there). Gary carried this table in and our cat, Betty, promptly decided it was the perfect place to lounge. I must teach her not to get on the table, I don't want the top all scratched up. I guess we have eclectic decorating tastes. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

16 comments:

  1. Those are wonderful. Tell Gary they make recliners with mini refrigerators in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Linda:

    We have to say that we find Gary's coffee table most intriguing and have never come across anything quite like it before. We are surprised to learn how heavy it is and do hope that it will not prove too difficult to take up to the loft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meredith, thanks, of course if there's a refrigerator up there someone will have to stock it and it won't be me. Ha. The MCM table is darker than in the photo and so I wasn't expecting that, hopefully it will grow on me, but it does fit the space I have for it.

    Hi Jane and Lance, thanks, it is a rather strange contraption isn't it. I think the mechanism that raises the top must add to the weight and then the wood is solid as well. It probably needs to be heavy for safety so it won't tip over. We shall see how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great coffee tables...go for couch potato...somehow I don't see either of you really doing that very long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Habitat for Humanity showrooms. That old solid stuff sure is solid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barbara, thanks, you know try as we might we never seem to relax much. Ha. We just dream about it.

    Hi Joanne, thanks, these are both solid pieces, the place in Ocala had a great website too. Wish all of them were that organized to have their stuff posted on craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen a riser table before, it is really great! It looks like the designer has had a lot of fun dreaming about how to take furniture into the space age, although the steel legs might hold it back from travelling to the moon! Having the table top come up like that, and across towards the person on the couch is a wonderful idea (and I guess that is why it really needs the heavy legs for stability). It is nice that Gary's man cave will be a "semi man cave".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    I am from GA too!

    And my grandson has a table that works like that in his room - not as pretty. He loves it.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Peter, thanks, we had someone come by to help Gary carry it upstairs and it looks great up there, we'll try it out soon. Ha.

    Hi Sandie, thanks for stopping by, I think we are going to like the riser table, it is really well made.

    Hi Michele, thanks, we are re-thinking the triangular table, not sure it goes in our decor, might have to sell it and get something different, they can't all be winners I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A friend was given a variation of the 'riser' table. It not only has the riser feature, it can be turned into a bench seat with back support. Very clever, very, very heavy - it is an outdoor table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice furniture. We have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near my house, it's so much fun to vista, and so tempting to buy there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both those tables are pretty cool. I've only seen one other riser table almost like that. My daughter bought one over 20 years ago, and they are still using it, it has been refinished a couple of times. I really like that style much better than a low coffee table that everyone(my hubby) puts their feet on. Most coffee tables are too low for my liking. I think I prefer more of a tea table height anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Gary has a good eye for furniture...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Elephant's Child, thanks, these unique pieces of furniture are well worth their weight, this one is going to fill the bill I think.

    Hi Barbara, thanks, I think the coffee table should be higher as well and I like ones that have extra storage below for books or magazines.

    Hi Dee, thanks, I am finding out what a good eye Gary has sometimes he surprises me and has a better eye than mine, perhaps we are switching roles. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lori, thanks, I am tempted all too often but then again we arrived without any furniture so I am having fun without too much guilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment