Little Miss Muffet
Thoughts from some time ago: The other morning I came around the corner of our house and saw a giant spider. The spider was about three inches wide and almost as long. At first I thought the spider was a tarantula. She was so large I could see the hairs on her body and legs very clearly. I'm glad the spider was outside and not inside. I'm not sure I would have had the courage to get close enough to this spider to scoop it up in a cup to carry it outside. Later I looked it up on the internet and found out the spider was a giant crab spider, Olios giganteum. You've probably guessed I was also thinking how I could document the spider in clay.
For some reason the Little Miss Muffet nursery rhyme popped into my head and I couldn't quit repeating it over and over again in my mind. I remembered my parents and aunts and uncles reading nursery rhymes to me when I was a child. The nursery rhymes were always so much better when I could see the pictures in the books. I thought about making a wall tile or plaque with Little Miss Muffet and the spider.
Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey.
Along came a spider
Who sat down beside her
And frightened Miss Muffet away.
Sat on a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey.
Along came a spider
Who sat down beside her
And frightened Miss Muffet away.
Later that day I was wondering if parent's read to their children and if they still read nursery rhymes. Do you read nursery rhymes to your children or know anyone that does? What about your grandchildren? I think nursery rhymes are classics and they are educational and I hope they are still a part of childhood these days. Then I started thinking it would be fun to recall more of the nursery rhymes I loved as a child and put them on tiles. Lately I've wanted to paint with slips in brighter colors and I thought a whole series of nursery rhyme tiles would be the perfect opportunity for me. I have been particularly inspired to do slip painting after seeing the wonderful vases and plates done by ceramic artist, Kitty Shepherd. If I could even come close to the beauty and precision with which she does her work I would be happy.
It's funny what tangents my mind wanders off on these days. I had a ceramic ballerina music box someone gave my parents for me when I was born. My mom kept the ballerina music box on her dresser so it wouldn't get knocked over. The ballerina had very white skin and realistically painted features and a ceramic lace filagree tutu with many layers which were very finely cut and pierced. As think back the ballerina was made in the style of Dresden porcelain from what I recall of it.
Every time we moved, a little bit of the ballerina tutu would break off, then a little more, and a little more. (We moved quite a bit, but that is another story). My mom kept glueing the pieces on, but over time they just wouldn't glue on any more. I used to love it when my mom would wind up the ballerina so I could watch her dance. Finally when I was in the seventh grade, the ballerina didn't have any tutu left and the music box wouldn't work any longer and my mom said it was time to throw the ballerina away. I was sad to see the ballerina go.
Ok, you're probably wondering what does a ballerina music box have to do with a nursery rhyme tile. Remembering my ballerina got me thinking. Children should have ceramics of their own, something they can cherish and remember, something tangible and long lasting. A special cup, a mug, a plate? I thought about the ceramics that Gary Rith makes with his whimsical animals and thought if I were a child I would love one of his cups or bowls. I tried to find more ceramics specifically made for children and I just couldn't find much. Do you know of any ceramic artist's who make work that appeals specifically to children? Then I thought, what about a tile or wall plaque a child could see each day on their wall. Now I don't mean to say my tiles will be a Dresden, but I hope if a child ever has one of my nursery rhyme tiles they'll love it just like I loved my ballerina. I hope they'll love their special cup, their special plate or whatever the ceramic piece is that was made especially for them.
Well I'm off to the land of nursery rhymes thinking about Wee Willie Winkle, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Baa Baa Black Sheep, and so many more. I don't think I will run out of ideas for wall plaques for a very long time. In the meantime I'm firing all my bisque ware and doing research about nursery rhymes, the types of clay for tiles and wall plaques, and how to prevent warping in tiles so stay tuned to find out what I'm learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment