Tuesday, March 17, 2015

More Bells

Before my ankle started acting up I made a a few more bells. This bell has a more traditional bell shape. My inspiration comes from what I imagine rustic bells hanging in a garden would look like.

This bell is Asian inspired. Originally I planned to make ceramic beads as clappers. Now I think wooden clappers would work better because wood won't tend to crack the ceramic bell. I am still working on details of the internal workings while I make the ceramic bells. I'm also researching how bells ring and how they produce sound.


 Now bell shaped flowers are giving me inspiration for bell shapes.


Floral colors are inspiring ideas for bell colors. Stay tuned for more bell shapes in the future. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

12 comments:

  1. I wonder where my pottery bells are. I'll take a look around and tell you about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joanne, thanks, oh I'd love to see a photo of them, how cool you have them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so beautiful! Flowers and pottery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barb, thanks, I'm trying to make a variety of shapes and sizes to see how they will sound after I get them assembled after firing, then I'll know which ones to duplicate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have inspired me to give them a try. Anxious to see yours finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele, thanks, these aren't as easy to make as they look, if I could throw they would probably be easier. Perhaps we can compare notes on shapes and the sounds they produce.

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos. I hope your ankle and knee improve. It is awful when one is in pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi, thanks, the pain is practically gone but now my knee catches when I bend it a certain way when I am walking. three more months till I can get Medicare perhaps then I can afford to see what's really wrong with it.

      Delete
  7. My ceramic bell has a ceramic clapper. The swing is fairly small which is what keeps it safe from cracking I think...
    Looking forward to hearing more about your experiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, hope you can post about your ceramic bells, would love to see the mechanics of it.

      Delete
  8. Linda, so sorry to hear about your mishaps! :(
    I do love your bells! I tried bells last year, but my mentor suggested I stick with bowls and mugs for a bit. ;)
    What do you use for clappers? I see Elephant's Child uses ceramic...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sherri, thanks, I was going to use ceramic beads for clappers but now am thinking of using wood ones, will post about the process later.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment