Sunday, September 27, 2015

Overlapping Glazes & Red Okra

Friday I experimented with overlapping glazes. Hopefully I'll be rewarded by my experiments rather than disappointed. Got my fingers crossed.

With the weather cooperating I fired the kiln over night. The kiln will cool down all day and won't be unloaded till late tonight or early tomorrow morning. Working with clay teaches a great deal of patience. Stay tuned to see results tomorrow.

At the farmer's market Saturday it threatened rain and attendance was down the first few hours. As the clouds and fog lifted attendance picked up and pottery sales did the same. Among other vegetables for the week I purchased some red okra. The red okra seemed more tender and sweeter than the usual green. It was also a bit more slender in size. The farmer said these are the last okra of the season. I prepared them as I usually do, cut in bite sized pieces, breaded and baked, but substituted flax meal for corn meal and baked them at 350 F for 30 minutes. They turn green after cooking but they were delicious. Thanks for reading and for all your comments..

10 comments:

  1. I love the way overlapping glazes create new looks, good luck on liking yours. I think I won't live long enough to ever like okra, so you can have my share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, thanks, there aren't many foods I don't like, prepared right just about any food can be good. I hope the overlapping comes out good, I have had some really ugly ones in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love me some okra! I like it fried, but that's a special treat. I like to put it in soups that have tomatoes in them.
    Good luck with your glaze layering, look forward to seeing results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele, thanks, you should try the okra baked, it's just as good and not all the oil needed.

      Delete
  4. Yes, buena fortuna in the glazes. I like the whimsical personality of the topmost pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, when I was glazing that pot from the front it's leaning forward and the back it leaning back as if wanting conversation or not wanting conversation, it definitely has a personality.

      Delete
  5. That first shot made me think of a character from Sesame Street. I can (almost) hear it talking.
    Okra is something I rarely see - and never the red...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue, thanks, the okra is a member of the mallow family and is quite beautiful when it is growing; I also read that the fiber in the stems is very strong and has many uses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your glaze on glaze firing. I see you kept the second glaze high on the pot.. very wise. I put a second glaze down low, it ran and I almost lost a shelf! Only tried Okra steamed and wasn't too impressed so might look for a baked recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anna, thanks, click on the link in my post for the baked recipe, very easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment