Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Looking Back - Blue Heron

Today I decided to look back at my previous work in clay. It doesn't hurt to review past work and see where I've been and where I might be going. I might do a review one day each week. Above is a blue heron wall hanging I made in 2008, the first year I started working with clay. The piece is about 14 x 6 inches. I was inspired by the blue heron which nested every year in the sycamore trees by the river near our home in California. I used cobalt and waxy white glaze and for some reason the heron turn more lavender rather than blue. I happen to like the lavender color better than I would have a blue. Working with clay there's inspiration, execution, serendipity, and surprise. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Love that the lavender colour was a pleasant surprise. And love the hanging too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I do love my lavender. Ha.

      Delete
  2. As you say, surprises continue to happen with clay even after many years... hope you are again inspired by the bird life around you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, thanks, I am inspired by so much sometimes it leaves me paralyzed to do anything, must get over that

      Delete
  3. And I've been reflection upon my life...sometimes I feel my feet are set in clay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, every year that goes by makes reflection take a much bigger hold for me. I know what you are saying, so much to think about and so much indecision

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment