Monday, May 13, 2019

Bluebird Family

We have a bluebird family in our backyard. The mother is at the entrance and the father is on top. The wire wrapped around is to prevent snakes from getting up the post; except the bungee cord seems to have deteriorated as it's not snug against the post any longer. We don't dare go up there and disturb the birds now. So we'll have to wait till the babies fledge.
Here's the father with an insect in his mouth for the babies. The mother always goes directly to the entrance but the father often lands on top and waits for a while. Bluebirds eat hundreds of insects; they are great in the garden. Several weeks ago the father was feeding the mother while she sat on the eggs till they hatched. We're having some glorious weather after all the rain. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have a bluebird family in your yard! Do post pics when the babies fledge. Question: Why does that wire prevent snakes from climbing up? Can't they climb over the wire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, the wire is really rough and I don't think the snakes will like it, but we originally had put it up to keep Barney from getting into the bird nesters, we hope it works anyway. I hope to get photos when the babies fledge, but often times i watch and watch and never see that happen, perhaps they fledge when it's the one day when I am gone.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue, thanks, they are really keeping us entertained because we can see them from our dining room window, Bonkers sees them too luckily he's an indoor cat otherwise they wouldn't stand a chance judging on how many lizards he has caught.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow.
    we are still having a lot of rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hena, thanks, I think you get the storms after we do, sunny weather is on its way.

      Delete
  4. Aren't they beautiful. This morning as I was driving out of my years I spotted what I think was a figbird...and it brightened up my morning. :)

    http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/forum/Figbirds-0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, I never heard of a fig bird I'll look it up, birds are a joy to watch.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment