Friday, July 5, 2019

Imperial Moth

Look what I found on my deck, an Imperial Moth, Eacles imperialis. You can't tell by this photo but the moth is about 5 inches across. Their size can vary from three to seven inches. The colors were much more vibrant than my photo but since the deck is almost the same color brown they don't appear as bright.
Here is another photo of the same type of moth with a gray background. See how much more vibrant this moth is. Be sure to click the source link to see all the stages of this beautiful moth. Apparently there is quite a bit of variation in the color patterns depending upon which area the moths live. It was a real treat to see this moth in person; imagine seeing a moth larger than your hand. Keep your eyes peeled, you never know what you might see.
Looking down into one of my vessels. Hope you all had a relaxing fourth of July. Saturday I'll be at the farmers market. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

13 comments:

  1. What an amazing critter of nature. So glad a cat didn't play with it first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, thanks, Bonkers stays inside, glad a bird didn't get him, but perhaps he is too large for them and looks intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat moth, Linda! My son in Hawaii sent me a picture of a large black Witch Moth - said it's wingspan was about 7 inches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, I'll have to look up the witch moth, how cool.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Tanza, thanks, I am so happy when I find another beauty in nature.

      Delete
  5. Moths are so often every bit as beautiful as butterflies - and I do not understand how they are less loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, and the moths keep their wings open when at rest so we can appreciate their colorful display while the butterflies close theirs up.

      Delete
  6. awesome article,
    thanks for sharing and have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Azka, thanks, mother nature is full of surprises.

      Delete
  7. I loved the look of your pretty moth, and so large! Also a great shot looking down into one of your vessels, very creative :) Thanks Linda, wishing you a happy week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, I was so happy I saw the moth before it flew away. sometimes the inside of these vessels amazes even me. Ha.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment