Saturday, January 4, 2020

Prince Edward Island (PEI) Mussels

We splurged on a luxury this season getting a bag of Prince Edward Island (PEI) mussels. One of our local farmers brings in fresh seafood (the mussels are from Canada) to his farm, which is convenient for us. He told us we were the only ones who ordered mussels. Up here in the mountains most are beef and tater eaters and don't even know what a mussel is. The farmer said one person thought they were muscles from a cow. Another person asked what they were and the farmer said they are like clams, still they didn't get any. Some folks lead very sheltered lives. (photo above borrowed from the net since we were so busy eating the mussels I neglected to take a photo).
Now that the mussels are gone I did manage to get a photo of the bag they came in. These mussels are sustainably raised. The mussels should be closed when you get them. If a mussel doesn't close when tapped discard it. If it doesn't open when cooked discard it. They are easy to cook. I put a vegetable steamer tray in the bottom of a stock pot and place the mussels on top of the tray. In about ten minutes they are steamed. I served them with some clarified butter and lemon slices. You can also make up a fancy broth to cook them in but I think they steam much better on a vegetable tray. I did see a recipe by Ina Garten for mussel bisque, which I had seen it before the mussels were gone.
When Gary and I were first dating we took a trip to a California coast to do some beach combing. I always had a bag with me in case I found some driftwood. The tide had gone out and we noticed a bunch of California mussels clinging to the rocks. We decided to collect them and bring them home. We got a whole bag full.
We decided to head out and go up the cliff and walk back to our car along an upper path. As we came over the sand dune we saw a sign saying "No collecting on this beach" posted by the state. Oh my, we had entered the beach a long way from that location. We couldn't put the mussels back so we left hoping we wouldn't be arrested for our crime. Every time we eat mussels we reminisce about that time over 30 years ago on the beach. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

13 comments:

  1. It’s a little strange to think of mussels as a luxury item.Living on the coast we used to gather them ourselves, along with razor clams, which are difficult to dig so are rarely seen in markets. Fortunately Proge’s dad was an expert at digging them. Now we buy our mussels at the local market. They are always the cheapest shellfish available.
    Wishing you health and happiness in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, our market used to have them from your neck of the woods but they quit carrying them that's what I consider them a luxury and the price too.

      Delete
  2. I've not had mussels for quite some time. I should get some.

    I bet those fresh ones you got in California were absolutely fabulous! I love oysters, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, I really want to try making the mussel bisque; the ones in California were delicious and their shells were very strong, unlike these that are cultured they are very thin and easy to crack; the pacific ocean has very cold water even in summer and strong waves.

      Delete
  3. When in St. Petersburg FL last week, we had an appetizer of mussels...and I tried one. Since I used to eat oysters, I thought it can't be that different. Well, it was ok, but I left the rest of the dish to the young people. I preferred my Black Grouper meal. You all can keep enjoying the mussels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, well they are rather bland tasting and it's the broth that gives them their flavor; I'd probably prefer the grouper too over the mussels.

      Delete
  4. I sometimes eat mussels at a restaurant, but I prefer to steam clams at home. I used to make a good seafood paella consisting of clams, shrimps and scallops and rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi, thanks, seafood paella, now you're talking

      Delete
  5. I am so glad you had this treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, we were too, we definitely pigged out for several days on mussels.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed these Linda. Reminded me how when the tide went out we used to do the same. My mother loved them especially.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Denise, thanks, oh I hope to make that mussel bisque one of these days

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard for me to believe that people don't know about mussels. Wow. In California you are usually allowed to collect mussels with a daily limit of 10 pounds, but there is an annual quarantine in effect from roughly May to October. When I was growing up in Germany I learned that you can only eat mussels in months with an "r" and I've never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment