Sunday, April 26, 2020

Big Beautiful Bin

The time has come to think about planting seeds direct into the soil. Lots of seeds don't do well transplanted such as root crops like carrots and radish. The icicle radish is very mild and can be roasted like a root vegetable. I plan to use the cherry belle radish for quick pickles. Radish can be ready to harvest in 20 days, I can't wait. The chantenay carrot is a shorter variety and much sweeter than what's usually available at the grocery store.
Last year while downsizing, I came across this rapiclip seed sower and a package of plant labels. For some reason I just couldn't let them go. Little did I know they'd come in handy this year. Many seeds are so tiny it's hard not to sow too many seeds in the soil. Radish and carrot seeds are definitely small. Lots of folks just sprinkle them in and then thin them, but I've always hated pulling up tiny seedlings, not wanting to discard a living thing.
Look what Gary built for me, a big beautiful bin so I can plant my radish and carrot seeds direct. Perhaps you can't see it but the bin is raised up off the deck with small recessed feet to keep it from rotting. The bottom is made of pressure treated boards; the top boards are regular 2x4's which he painted. The bottom has drainage holes and we've put some ground cover cloth into the bottom to keep the soil from leaking out through the holes. Warm weather is on it's way and I can't wait to see some little seedlings pop up from the soil. Be well.

8 comments:

  1. Oh farmer Linda is going to be getting her hands dirty again! If it's not clay, it can be seed planting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, not sure about fresh food in the grocery so we are eating canned or frozen, hope to have fresh this summer.

      Delete
  2. good luck with your seedlings.. I know what you mean about thinning - I find that hard too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, thanks, I know they say it is good to thin so the plants left get enough energy, still and all.

      Delete
  3. Exciting times. And yes, I also find it difficult to thin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, glad I am not the only one who hates thinning.

      Delete
  4. Very impressed by the bin that Gary built for you to plant radish and carrot seeds, what a lovely thing to do, and things should grow very well in there. I was amused about the 20 day radishes.... Mine were a disaster this year, no matter how long I waited... 20...40...60...and more days they made some nice looking leaves, but hardly made radishes. We had a very strange growing season this year, and several friends also had trouble with root crops. However, the apples, pears and quinces all did well.
    Laura says "Hello" :-)
    All the best to you and Gary,
    Peter xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, thanks, we shall see if they do well, one never knows about these things, mother nature has a way of fooling us when we little expect it. Hi to Laura as well.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment