Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Stove Top Macaroni & Cheese with Evaporated Milk

We had cheddar cheese and gluten free noodles, but a limited amount of milk for cereal and coffee creamer. I decided to make Macaroni and Cheese with evaporated milk. During a pandemic you use what you have in stock. Would it be worth eating; I decided to find out.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan, add 1 teaspoon of onion powder, smoked paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook till fragrant and then add the evaporated milk. Cook the mixture on low.

Grate 12 ounces of cheddar cheese,. Reserve half a cup of grated cheese for topping your macaroni. Add remaining cheese to the spice and milk mixture. Cook on low till cheese is melted.
Meanwhile cook 16 ounces of pasta in salted water till al dente and drain. Put noodles into a bowl and pour cheese spice milk mixture over the top,  Top with reserved grated cheese and enjoy. Is it worth making again, yes. But it would better with elbow noodles. I didn't have any, so in times of quarantine, you use what you have and make notes for the future. Be well.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Linda. I use evaporated milk a lot... in my tea and in cooking. It works really well and I think adds a bit more flavor. Made Chicken spaghetti the other night and added evaporated milk for richness. Good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rian, thauks, I have never used evaporated milk before, but it will be a staple on our prepper shelves for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never used evaporated milk in macaroni cheese (and indeed rarely use it). Good to know it was a success and can be tweaked in future versions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, thanks, we have lots of canned goods in stock which we do at the beginning of every winter, so I decided to give it try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know that it's an alternative. I've got packets of dried milk of which I use a bit in recipes, then keep the opened pack in the fridge for months closed up...dry packs for a quart at a time, but it doesn't go bad that way. Glad to know you had success with your evaporated milk recipe...it does sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barbara, thanks, we looked for dried milk and could not find it anywhere. We plan to look further for it in the future. It is shelf stable for many years I believe. I have been researching on of all places "prepper sites" lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's ages since I've had macaroni-cheese. I love it...and used to make it. Maybe I should do so again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, it had been ages for me too, in fact I can't actually remember ever making it, but my mom did.

      Delete
  8. Mac and cheese was a staple at our house when I was growing up, and I think I remember Mom using evaporated milk most of the time. With 3 kids and a Dad who drank lots of milk, regular milk was used for just that. Oh, Linda, that looks so good. These days hubby & I buy the frozen mac & cheese at Trader Joes. It's very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, we don't have a trader joes near by, only the chain grocery and a few non chain wiht off brands, we are limiting trips to grocery because we are both compromised, esepcially me, so we are using what we have stocked up on hand; we stock up at the beginning of each winter due to the flu, luckily we have that policy and weren't caught without when this all happened.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment