Thursday, May 14, 2020

Spicy Stuffed Pork Roll Ups

At our recent trip to Waldrep's Meat Processing in Ellijay we purchased a package of smoked pork chops. They looked very thin cut in the shrink wrapped package but I didn't think much about it at the time. When I got home I saw they were really thin, almost as thin as bacon. I wondered what to do with them?
Since the chops were so thin I decided to marinate them so they wouldn't dry out when I cooked them. I blended coriander, cardamom, cloves, garlic powder, allspice, dried ginger, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes along with two tablespoons of dark brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and olive oil. I put them into a glass baking dish, tossed them gently in the marinade, and refrigerated them overnight.
Then I thought to myself what can I make with these thin strips of pork. I thought of stuffing them with a rice mixture. Low and behold I read there is such a thing as pork roll ups. Never heard of them before, never made them, but that's what I was going to make. I took the chops out of the refrigerator to get them to room temperature and drained the largest ones on a open weave trivet.
While the pork was draining I cooked some wild rice. While the rice was cooking I sauteed one quarter of an onion and one red bell pepper chopped fine. While those were sauteing I chopped 1/4 cup of almonds, and grated one quarter cup of Parmesan cheese. I added all the ingredients except the pork to the rice after the rice had cooled slightly.

Next I placed a small amount of the rice mixture on each piece of pork and rolled it up and secured it with a couple of toothpicks inserted on an angle. I sauteed them in a medium hot cast iron frying pan turning them once to brown both sides.
Oh my goodness these Spicy Stuffed Pork Roll Ups are delicious. I put the remaining pork slices too small to use as roll ups in a glass baking dish topped with the extra rice mixture then topped it all with more of the pork bits and poured the marinade over the top. I baked this mixture in a 400 F oven for 25 minutes. Either way these are spicy hot in a good way and so wonderful. The mixture in the glass baking dish was much hotter due to all the marinade I poured over it. It will definitely clean out your sinuses. Be well.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, they were really good, I kind of surprised myself.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, variety is the spice of life.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful use to make of thin (too thin?) chops.
    Yay you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, guess they weren't too thin. Ha.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen thin pork chops like those...not ever.

    You certainly did use them well, though...your roll-ups sound and look delicious. Clever lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, they must have sliced them on a meat slicer or something like that. But they were actually quite good and could be served as an appetizer.

      Delete
  5. This sounds so good Linda. I am impressed with your ingenuity, ad it sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, I have heard of stuffed pork chops before but the recipes are usually made with thick pork chops, I'd consider what I had as pork slices. Ha.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment