Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Beans, Carrots, Cucumbers, Radish

Gary built another planting bin which I promptly planted with burpless cucumbers hopefully to climb up the lattice and blue lake bush green beans in the front. We had huge downpours of rain so I had to string para-cord for the cucumbers and place cardboard circles around the green beans to support them temporarily.
These are chantenay carrots which are a shorter growing French variety. I did thin them but they are still thickly planted. We shall see.
The bush green beans already have a flower. Things are looking up.
Here is the first harvest from what we've planted this year. Various peppers (shishito, marconi, jalapeno, poblano) and a few tomatoes. These went into a blueberry salsa. At first I added one jalapeno and they wren't spicy enough. Then I added two more. Oh brother, way too spicy but good.
My icicle radishes were a bust considering the time and effort to grow them. I made red radish pickles with the red radish I grew and they were delicious. I put these icicle radish in a potato au gratin because I didn't want to waste them. Especially since radish are really nutritious. Next time I might plant daikon radish and see how they do. I think radish might be good grated into a coleslaw along with cabbage. Be safe and be well.

9 comments:

  1. Your veggies all look so good. I wish we had more area to have a veggie garden. We tried container gardening... and it worked OK, but not great. Our back is all shade and the side is mostly cement driveway. I usually have to be content with hanging a few herbs in the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, sorry I haven't been commenting recently but my neighbor was admitted to icu and I am trying to make food for them because her husband is handicapped.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for home grown (even with its occasional failures).
    I am a big radish fan and grated into a solad or a coleslaw sounds good to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, sorry I haven't been commenting recently but my neighbor was admitted to icu and I am trying to make food for them because her husband is handicapped.

      Delete
  3. It is fun to see what you have been growing in your garden. I never knew there was such a thing as icicle radishes and now I know, thank you. We like eating our red radishes whole sometimes (from the store), though we enjoy them sliced into a salad. Thanks for reminding me, I am going to put them on this week's shopping list.
    Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, sorry I haven't been commenting recently but my neighbor was admitted to icu and I am trying to make food for them because her husband is handicapped.

      Delete
  4. This is such a healthy post...just when I've finished eating half a block of dark chocolate, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, I could really use some dark chocolate right now; sorry I haven't been commenting recently but my neighbor was admitted to icu and I am trying to make food for them because her husband is handicapped.

      Delete
    2. No need for apologies, Linda...I've been pretty slack in the responding department, too. :)

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment