Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Summer Bounty

Summer is fulled with such bounty. I was looking to see if I needed to pick green beans and noticed this tiny tree frog hiding in the blue lake green beans. He has a distinctive X pattern on his back. Is he a Spring Peeper or Mountain Chorus frog? Check out the link and tell me what you think. (you'll probably have to click the photo to make it larger).
I was able to get quite a few photos of him before he disappeared. We've had so much rain this year that the forest if filled with what I assume are hundreds of frogs. They serenade us every evening. During the day the cicadas have their own chorus.
Nothing better than a snack of an heirloom tomato with a little salt and pepper. I didn't grow these because we don't get enough sun except for the smaller varieties of tomatoes.
Another day I had so many cherry tomatoes I decided to roast them.
After tossing in olive oil, salt and pepper, their roasted for 30 minutes.
Earlier in the week I brined and smoked some salmon. The next day I made sushi rolls with the salmon along with sauteed mushrooms and onions. My twist on a sushi roll.
A quick way to use up a mixture of fresh vegetables is to make fritters.
I used chickpea flour and an egg and tossed in some fresh chopped tomatoes, green beans, and peppers. They were delicious.
 butterflies and flowers abound
 black swallowtail
 black eyed susan
 butterfly bush

Happy Summer
Be Safe, Be Well

10 comments:

  1. Love the bounty which surrounds you - and the uses you are making of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, it's amazing what one can do when they are stuck at home.

      Delete
  2. Great photos Linda! I am cooking salmon tonight but just in the pan with a plain glaze. I must look at some brining recipes. I guess you need a smoker for the other, don't know much about those but always been curious. Those tomatoes look delicious as do your other dishes. Beautiful flowers and interesting frog. Thanks for the link which I enjoyed. I wouldn't know its kind. Never seen those around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, you can smoke on a BBQ by putting the soaked wood chips in tin foil over the coals with a couple of slits in the top.

      Delete
  3. Pretty butterfly, almost forgot about that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, little did I realize that dill is the food of the black swallowtail caterpillars.

      Delete
  4. summer is at its peak, and the delights of great fruits and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, yes we have been lucky this summer as every day it has rained so not much watering to do.

      Delete
  5. You certainly are a very industrious lady! You put me to shame, Linda! :)

    I love frogs...wonderful creatures.

    It's been raining here since early yesterday (Friday) morning...not pouring, heavy rain, but rain, nonetheless...and I love it! :)

    Take care... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, this has been over several weeks so I'm not that industrious. lol

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment