Saturday, April 17, 2021

Blueberry Clafoutis is Blueberry Heaven

Blueberry Clafoutis (klafuti) - is a French dessert, a cross between a cake and custard. I just took my clafoutis out of the oven and my house smells like blueberry heaven. I'm trying to use up last years frozen blueberries before this years become ripe. I find frozen blueberries hold up much better in the a clafoutis rather than fresh; they don't sink to the bottom of the batter as much. I like to bake my clafoutis in a cast iron pan.

Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 F. Set aside 1-1/2 cups frozen blueberries. Put 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp baking powder in a bowl and mix together. In a separate bowl beat 4 eggs, then add 1-1/4 cups milk, 1 tsp vanilla, blend together then add to dry ingredients and stir till just barely smooth. In a cast iron pan in the preheated oven melt 4 tbs butter to coat the pan, pour excess butter into the batter and stir till blended. Then pour 1/3 batter into the pan and put back in oven, bake for 7 minutes. Take pan out of oven and sprinkle all the blueberries on the partially cooked batter, then add the remainder of the batter over the blueberries and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.

Cool down to barely warm before cutting. Don't worry if the clafoutis sinks, it's supposed to. In the summer I make peach clafoutis. Julia Child was famous for her cherry clafoutis. You can sprinkle a little powdered sugar over the top but it isn't necessary. Enjoy. (full disclosure-photo isn't mine because my camera broke)

Be Safe, Be Well

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, and so good for you too

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. Clafoutis, in any form, is a great favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, yes any fruit is delicious with the reicp3

      Delete
  3. YUM. And smartcat is right. ANY clafoutis is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, never knew about this recipe till recent years, goes to show you can learn nww tricks even if old

      Delete
  4. Reminds me of my blueberry custard pie. And I too use frozen blueberries and that way they hold together and the whole pie doesn't turn purple. I'll have to try your recipe for Clafoutis. And Peach custard pie is also a favorite so I imagine peach Clafoutis is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, custard pie, I do love pies better than any other dessert

      Delete
  5. The last time I made clafoutis was when I was cooking in a restaurant-function house in Gympie...19 years ago!!!!

    I do have some frozen blueberries in my freezer...you've given me an idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, a recipe worth making every time.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment