Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Gluten Free Buttermilk Pumpkin Bread

Somehow, I bought buttermilk instead of regular milk, so I've been searching for buttermilk recipes. Buttermilk pancakes came to mind and also buttermilk. However, I wanted something quick to make initially. I decided to make a buttermilk pumpkin bread. Almost ten years in gluten free and I am just now getting back into backing occasionally. I'm not sure folks who don't have to limit their diet have any idea what a learning curve there is to change a lifelong cooking habit, particularly for baking. I for one had no inkling. Preheat oven to 350 F.

1/2 stick of room temperature butter creamed, next add
1-1/4 sugar and cream, then add
3 large whole eggs room temperature one at a time and cream, last add
2 tsp pure vanilla and cream till blended

in a separate bowl measure then mix well
1-1/4 cups of gluten free flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda 
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground dried ginger
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp fine sea salt

add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in increments and barely blend,

last add ingredients below in increments and blend till just incorporated.

1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
3/4 cup of buttermilk

Pour mixture into an oiled and floured loaf pan and bake for 1 1/4 hours till toothpick comes out almost clean. Cover with aluminum foil if top begins to over-brown. Cool on a rack for 20 minutes, loosen sides with a table knife and turn out onto a plate then flip over. Cut half inch slices and serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream or butter if desired. 

2 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoyed it. I occasionally bake gluten free for a friend with coeliac disease and it doesn't come easily to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, thanks, I use 1:! flour, seems to be fine for most things

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment