Friday, February 18, 2022

Teriyaki Salmon En Papillote

En Papillote is my new favorite way to make salmon. En Papillote means cooked in paper and I'm using parchment paper. I've tried this method of cooking salmon several times using lemon and herbs, but this time I decided to try Teriyaki Salmon En Papillote. For the marinade I mixed 1 cup low sodium soy sauce or aminos, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 cloves of garlic minced, 1-inch fresh ginger micro planed, 1/8 cup lemon juice or rice wine vinegar, and freshly ground pepper. I placed salmon side (cut into serving sized pieces with skin intact) in a baking dish skin side up and let salmon pieces marinate for one hour at room temperature.

Then I prepared my parchment paper and aluminum foil. I prefer to surround the parchment with aluminum foil in case of blowouts of the moisture while cooking. I place the aluminum foil down and then the parchment paper on top. Use enough of each to completely encase the salmon. Preheat oven to 400 F. Slice one white onion thin and break up into rings. Place the onion rings on the bottom of the parchment paper to make a bed for the salmon pieces to rest. Reserving marinade, remove each piece of salmon and place skin side down on the onion ring bed.  I julienned some mini red and yellow peppers to place on top (peppers are unnecessary for this recipe). Then I placed thin lemon slices on top and dots of butter and wrapped the concoction up tightly.

Cooking time depends on how thick your fillet slices are or salmon steaks if you use those. I cooked the salmon for 20 to 25 minutes. While salmon was cooking, I made brown rice (one part rice to two parts water, bring salted water to boil, add rice and cook for 20 minutes). Steam asparagus in a separate pot. In another pot reduce the reserved marinade for a sauce to dribble over the salmon and rice when served (only use a little dribble since the soy is quite salty).  With a salmon side (or half a fillet) we have salmon for three or four days in a row. I don't have to cook every day and yet we have a gourmet meal. Yummy.

2 comments:

  1. I like salmon and very often having a fillet or two for my lunch (and Remy, my male cat, loves the days I have salmon, too!

    Take care, Linda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee, thanks, Gary like teriyaki but I think I prefer the lemon and mushrooms, Bonkers likes salmon a whole lot too, lol

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment