Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Golden Zucchini & Tromboncino Casserole

I thought two large golden zucchini would be enough to fill up a large casserole for a Labor Day picnic. I underestimated the moisture content in the golden zucchini and how the volume reduces. So I decided to add the tromboncini squash to the casserole.

Perhaps you remember these squash I purchased at my local farmers market a week or so ago. Golden Zucchini above and Tromboncino Zucchini below.


I sliced the golden zucchini and baked it for 30 minutes to reduce the moisture. It actually cooked and I had sliced it too thin, so it pretty much fell apart. Not one to waste food I layered it in the buttered casserole dish topped with pepper, sage, Spanish tarragon, panko bread crumbs, sauteed onions, and grated mozarella cheese. The casserole was less than half full so I blanched the tromboncino squash and added two more layers.
The first layer was the bulbous portion of the tromboncino which was seedy. I removed the seedy portion after blanching. (Next time I'd remove the seedy portion completely before cooking.) I added more grated mozarella cheese and spices. 

Next I added the long thinner portion of the tromboncino. This brought the volume of the casserole up to an acceptable level.On top is grated smoked gouda. I prepared the casserole yesterday and have refrigerated it and will cook it today. Before placing in the oven I'll make a mixture of buttered panko bread crumbs for the top and plan to bake it at 350 F for about 30 to 40 minures. After I removed the casserole from the oven I placed strips of roasted gypsy peppers on top for a garnish shown in top photo.

2 comments:

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment