Monday, January 23, 2023

Oyster Stew

 
Oyster Stew - something to warm your innards on a cold day.
I made a big batch because, then, I don't have to cook every day.
1 onion chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cloves of garlic microplaned
3 yellow potatoes chopped with skins left on
1-1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
1-32 oz container of vegetable or chicken stock
(do not add salt if using store bought stock)
2-8 oz cans of whole oysters
Spanish tarragon, thyme, pepper, and red pepper flakes

Saute chopped onion in a little olive oil. Add cclery for about 3 minutes, then add carrots for about 3 minutes. Add minced garlic for one minute. Next add stock and spices of your choice. Open cans of oysters and drain juice into stew, but reserve oysters. I like to make stove top stews and soups with the broth and mirepoix the day before and then refrigerate it all and begin again the next day. Something about letting the mixture get cold and then reheating enhances all the flavors.

The next day I heat the stew up slowly and add the chopped mushrooms. For the last hour I add the chopped yellow potatoes. I usually add milk to this stew but with the mushrooms it looked so rich I didn't think it needed it. While stew is cooking I chop the canned oysters in half. When potatoes are soft and stew is done, remove from heat and add chopped oysters. The oysters are already cooked so no need to cook them, otherwise they will get tough. Serve with bread or oyster crackers.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love fresh oysters, and I've not had any for ages and ages. As kids, we used to collect them directly off the rocks, devouring them as we went...some for the jars we had...and others for immediate ingesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, this was a special delivery by a restaurant who got extra for the public, shared with a friend a whole box

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment