Saturday, August 17, 2024

Creamed Shishito Peppers Over Tagliatelle


Creamed Shishito Peppers Over Tagliatelle

We have an abundance of shishito peppers so I've been looking for different recipes to utilize them. I came across a recipe for creamed shishito peppers and thought I'd try that. Since they were going to be creamed I decided to serve them over GF tagliatelle.

Start by chopping two small or one large shallot and saute till soft in a bit of olive oil. Next chop up your peppers finely, discarding both ends. Add finely sliced peppers to shallots when shallots are soft. I should have counted or weighed how many pepper I used but sorry I didn't do that.

Add two micro-minced garlic cloves to sauté mixture. Salt and pepper the mixture while cooking it. To soften peppers adequately you may need to cover the sauté pan for several minutes. Meanwhile put on your tagliatelle pasta to cook being sure to salt the water.  Since I'm using gluten free pasta, it takes longer to cook. When peppers become very soft add 1/2 to 2/3 cup of heavy cream and continue to reduce till mixture becomes thick. When you first add the cream it looks like too much but it does reduce down and becomes incorporated into the pepper mixture.
Plate your pasta and top with creamed pepper mixture and top with some grated asiago or parmesan cheese and serve immediately. This was so delicious but a little spicy. Some of my shishito peppers are quite spicy. Short of tasting each one I just have to take what I get. It's the kind of heat which dissipates after a short while unlike really hot peppers like habanero or serrano. You could probably substitute a mild pepper for this dish. We don't mind the heat and shishito peppers have such a unique flavor. This recipe is definitely a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment