Sunday, August 16, 2026

Fresh Fig Shortbread Bars


Fresh Fig Shortbread Bars

scant quart of fresh figs, I used Adriatic variety
10 dried black mission figs
juice and zest of one lemon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water

2 sticks un salbutter room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 egg room temperature

2 cups 1:1 gluten free flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine pink salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup chopped nuts of your choice chopped well

 I found the fresh figs at the farmers market in Blairsville and couldn't resist. Figs are very nutritious. Cut fresh figs in half. Cut dried figs in small pieces. Juice and zest one lemon. Add figs, lemon zest, juice, and water to sauce pan. Cook till softened and mash to desired consistency. I kept mine slightly lumpy. Set aside and let cool.
Cream butter, then add sugar a little at a time and continue to cream, add vanilla and then egg and blend till incorporated. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a separate bowl measure dry ingredients and whisk till blended. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, a little at a time.
Divide dough in half. Press half of dough into bottom of 9x12 or 7x12 inch baking dish and bake for 15 minutes. Add nuts to remaining dough blending with a spatula. I used pecans. When bottom layer is baked. Remove from over, let cool slightly and spread fig mixture over the top. Next dollop nut flour mixture over the top. Bake in oven for 35 to 45 more minutes. Dry on a wire rack, Cut into squares when cool. Crumbly but so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment